Need help with masking a nose

I'm getting a mental hernia trying to figure out how to mask the nose of a 1/72 E-2C so I can paint the small black radome. The Hawkeye has an oval shape. So the usual techniques of masking the nose (like using washers or o-rings) have not worked. And all my attempts at tape (Tamiya and Pactra) have not resulted in a nice, straight and crisp demarcation Any ideas?

How thin a strip of Tamiya tape did you try?

I've gone down to a millimeter or so to get it to conform to compund curves like that. Just keep building up additional strips behind it.

I managed to mask the nose of a Revell AG 1/144 E-2C with very thin strips of Tamiya tape

202535670.jpg

so, in 1/72, it shouldn't be a problem. I found that the trick was not to try to use one long piece of tape to go round the whole nose, but to build up the curve using shorter, overlapping pieces.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by pingu1

Here's the method I use. I make many cuts in the tape perpendicular to the masking edge. This helps the tape conform to the curve. Effectively, it's the same result as using the thin strips that others have suggested, but I find having the rest of the tape makes it easier for me to hold and place.

Here's an example, where I was masking the spinner on a 1/48 Fw-190D.

tape4.jpg

tape3.jpg

:cheers:

Mike

When masking a round item like a radome or the front portion of a missile I usually mark off where the"border" is supposed to be. Then I use masking tape and wrap it all the way arround the radome or whatever it is I'm masking, making sure I cover where I marked. Then I use a my scalpel and gently trim of exess tape according to where I marked off the border.

Another method is to use a panel line as marker. wrap maskingtape on covering the panelline. Then first use a toothpick to highligt the panel line, then use the scalpel to trim off exess tape.

Make sure that any paint under the maskingtape is compleatly cured or it might get ripped of. and make sure to be very gental when removing the maskingtape when done.

• 5 months later...

This may sound a little too simple, but I just dipped my Hawkeye nose into the paint. I used this method with spinners, too, and it works OK if you have a good eye and steady hand. I thinned the paint a bit so the excess would drip off quickly, and you can pull off any excess with a brush with the part secured in the right attitude.

E-2Ck.jpg