Tamiya Storch

Hello all,

This is Tamiya's amazing Storch, with WEM's photoetch (the latter designed by ARC's very own Radu Brinzan). Both are wonderful to work with, and I've only done three bits! Here's what I have so far...

The pilot's seat etch is lovely, but I thought the front part would require a slightly stronger mount to stay in place, so I put a bit of stock on the front - you'll hardly be able to see this when the etch is in place:

Storch01.jpg

When the etch is secured in place, it looks like this:

Storch03.jpg

And from the back:

Storch02.jpg

The 'tongue' sticking out of the front of the etch on the pilot's seat represents the control stick locking mechanism, the other half of which can be seen on the control stick itself:

Storch04.jpg

I've also put the structure beneath the 'passenger' seat.

Storch05.jpg

This White Ensign etch is really very nicely designed, and made of a grade of brass which is just soft enough to be able to work with, without being too flexible to be useful. Very nice stuff.

More soon. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this one...

Edited by thom

Thanks guys.

A little more progress on the long and winding road to P.E. nirvana.

I've made a few sets of lap belts:

Storch06.jpg

Also the main rudder pedals:

Storch08.jpg

and the secondary (auxiliary?) ones:

Storch07.jpg

More tomorrow, probably. Progress is fast when you're bending brass.

Edited by thom

A few more bits today.

First up, the throttle quadrant. I had to make a little rig to put all the bits together, stretching some 0.64mm rod (I think it originally came in some Imperial diameter!) to make a slightly thinner bit which passed through all the pieces, such that the back of the quadrant would be wedged where the rod got a bit thicker. A picture would help at this point...

Storch09.jpg

A few more pieces added:

Storch10.jpg

And finally it's finished:

Storch11.jpg

Some other gubbins:

Storch12.jpg

The instrument panel was both difficult and extremely enjoyable to put together. The rings around the instruments had to be individually glued on:

Storch13.jpg

The end result, with the kit decal (out of register for the first time on any Tamiya kit I've ever built) sandwiched in between, is well worth the effort:

Storch14.jpg

Before I attached the trim wheel, I added a little collar around the shaft used to attach it to the sidewall:

Storch15.jpg

Then attached the trim wheel. Some other bits had been added too, so the port sidewall is looking nice and busy and detailed:

Storch16.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for having a look, and if you're wondering what on Earth I'm doing posting to this level of detail on the build, it helps to regulate me, makes me think about every move before I make it. Let's see if that makes the builds a bit better...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I hope I can live up to your expectations! :)

A little progress this evening. The first pic shows off one of the nice features of the PE - there are little connectors for the ends of rods which join to linkages - these are tiny parts, but beautifully done, and really make a difference to the overall effect.

Storch17.jpg

The next two show the state of play with the seating arrangements. And yes, I have put a little peg in the control stick locking plate, so it was worth attaching!

Storch18.jpg

Storch19.jpg

That's all for now. Loving this kit at the moment, even if I did scream slightly at the seatbelts earlier!

Thanks for looking, more soon.

Wow!

Phenominal patience Thom :thumbsup: I'd be struggling it it were 1/24th scale, let alone 1/48th! :lol:

The etched parts add another dimension to the cockpit and with all of the glazing, it should all be clearly seen too.

I'm eager to see the results of your labour under a coat of paint. That will really be a treat. :thumbsup:

Terrific stuff so far. ( and great photography too..... :) )

:o

Thanks again for the props, guys, it's nice to know I'm not making a total mess of it!

Only a couple of things this time, and I'm afraid one of them is me begging for help!

First up, this is how Tamiya does etch:

Storch20.jpg

This stuff is absolutely lovely, and look at that attention to detail with the numbering! It's the little touches... One of the parts on this tree is the one I need help with, actually - the photo wasn't taken with this in mind, so the part is way out on the left, part 2. Looks a bit like a control panel to me, and it's meant to go on the starboard side internal cockpit framing next to the passenger/copilot seat, at about shoulder height. The thing is, Tamiya has made no indication that there is meant to be any backing to the etch, so the panel would appear to have holes through it. Is that really the case? If so, what was the panel's purpose? If it is meant to have instruments, I'll have to form some backing from plastic sheet.

The second pic shows you what I've been doing this evening - drawing shapes on paper:

Storch21.jpg

Tamiya kindly provide exterior canopy masking sheets, but nothing is provided for the interior. My normal technique is to spray the interior framing colour as a basecoat on the outside of the canopy, a fairly common trick. With the Storch, though, that's not going to cut it, so I'll have to spray the insides. That means masking the complex glasswork, which would have been a pain if Tamiya hadn't done half the work for me. All I needed to do was trace the lines on the Tamiya masking, then I'll cut these out in sections and glue them face down on some Tamiya tape stuck to a clean surface. The paper is thin enough that the pen marks will show through the reverse, and I'll be able to cut out near perfect mirror images of the Tamiya shapes to mask the insides of the windows. Well, that's the theory anyway...

Edited by thom

Hi Thom,

I can't help with the position or use of the tiny panel, sorry

I do like the idea of spraying the interior canopy framing though. Nice attention to detail that some might miss/avoid.

It should really pay dividends to the finished look of the whole interior once complete.

At least there are no curved lines to cut........! :thumbsup:

Have you dry fitted any of the kit yet? I'm interested in the engineering of the model. Recent Tamiya products like the F-16 and Zero fighters have been lauded for their fit. I hope the Storch is the same way as my recent build was an absolute pleasure. ;)

:cheers:

Have you dry fitted any of the kit yet? I'm interested in the engineering of the model. Recent Tamiya products like the F-16 and Zero fighters have been lauded for their fit. I hope the Storch is the same way as my recent build was an absolute pleasure. :)

Hiya. The fit is, as we've all come to expect from Tamiya lately, nigh on perfect. Some of the engineering seems a little bit odd, and I think I'm going to have a bit of fun getting the fuselage halves together. It's all for a good reason, though - every time I question an engineering decision I have an 'ohhhhhhhhhh' moment later on when I realise quite how clever it is. I know I eulogise about this kit quite a lot, but if anyone is after a build to get them back in love with the hobby, this is it.

That said, it is worth noting that it's not absolutely perfect. The instrument panel is a scale inch or two far into the cabin, referenced against photos of the real thing - you only notice it if you have a look at the framing tubework. If you build it without adding the WEM etch as I have, there is not a chance in hell you'd notice. The only reason I did was that I was trying to jam one of the etch bits in, and thought Radu had got his measurements wrong or something. Actually, if the instrument panel was pushed back about 1mm, in line with one of the tubing junctions as it is in the photos, the etch would fit perfectly. Unfortunately, that's not very easy at all, so I'm going to leave it where it is and modify the etch instead.

The overall impression is one of mild astonishment, though, that a kit can be this well designed. Some balk at the price tag for a 48th scale kit, but believe me it is worth every single penny/cent/other small domination. Thank you, Mr Tamiya, and your whole lovely organisation!

Thom, why don't you carefully re-use the paint masks for the inside of the canopy? The left outside would go on the right inside etc...

As far as the small panel, gallery_2.jpg.

Thanks. I think it must be empty holes then. Bit odd, though - can't imagine what it's for. I had a thought it might be a flare holster, but that just doesn't make sense.

As for reusing the masks, it's a great idea, but I'll be doing the interior painting before the fuse is closed, and I want to avoid the chance of any overspray, so I wanted both sides masked at once.

Montex-Mask includes masking films for inside (Fi 156C "I") and outside (Fi 156C "E"):

sm48288.jpg

If only I'd known! Next time, maybe. Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Awesome work so far. It looks great, and really neat work on the PE too. One thing with the masks - sometimes the interior mask dimensions are just a wee bit different than the exterior, so they may actually be a bit too big for the interior window dimensions when you try them out. Then again, if the clear piece is very thin (Tamiya is usually great, of course, with their transparencies) then it might not be an issue.

JON