1/48 "Revcademiya" F-15E OIF 2003

Actually, it's rather Revell F-15E based with some parts from both Academy's new F-15E OIF/OEF package and Tamiya's F-16C.

I started from LAU-128 pylons with ADU-552 Adapters. I planed to use Acad's part directly, but... sadly they are too short as Wolfpack Ds'.

Luckly, I've got plenty of LAU-129s from my last four viper builds, so I just grab some and combine which with Acad's ADU-552. Re-scribe the different details of LAU-128. Now they look right better.

oops... the text on the pic is wrong...

IMG_5458.jpg

IMG_5461.jpg

IMG_5465.jpg

Two things compared, now acceptable...

IMG_5466.jpg

Jin

Jin, this looks like an impressive start, I really like your attention to detail.

Cheers,

Marcel

Thanks Marcel:D

Little update.

Revell's IP is the best! Really can save a lot of money from after-market.

IMG_5485.jpg

I think the WSO's IP has tiny issue with scale, I planned to change that with Acad's, but I gave up because the details were that good.

IMG_5489.jpg

Also I chaged the angle of intake to "engine warm-up" status, all the ref-pics I'd browsed, never one showed the intakes were up when the aircraft was taxing.

IMG_5495.jpg

What you also need for a taxing jet is the pilot(s). I used Acad's bodies, Tam's heads and Hasegawa for WSO's left arm.

IMG_5478.jpg

Jin

Are those feet I see. Love your WSO, I could use him LOL.

My only true nit pick with the Revell pit is the lack of button detail the the MFDs.

Very nice work bud :jaw-dropping:

Edited by Wayne S

Wow, how more awesome can this get?! Brilliant progress so far Jin. But hey, if you wanna be very accurate, I gotta give you a lil heads-up in advance regarding the Revell CFTs. Apparently, the shape is a little off especially on the part where the CFT meets the wing root. It should be closer to the wing root as what Academy managed to nail. Keep up the good work there Jin! I'll be watching this one! :rolleyes:

Wow, how more awesome can this get?! Brilliant progress so far Jin. But hey, if you wanna be very accurate, I gotta give you a lil heads-up in advance regarding the Revell CFTs. Apparently, the shape is a little off especially on the part where the CFT meets the wing root. It should be closer to the wing root as what Academy managed to nail. Keep up the good work there Jin! I'll be watching this one! :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy for such helpful information!

Regards,

Jin

Also I chaged the angle of intake to "engine warm-up" status, all the ref-pics I'd browsed, never one showed the intakes were up when the aircraft was taxing.

IMG_5495.jpg

It looks like there is a ladder mount point or something open in this pic (just in front of the inlet ramp and beneath it). I can't recall if that gets filled in later or not, but it should be closed given the engines are running.

Putting down inlet ramps was probably one of the more challenging parts of the build IMO.

Looks good bud :banana:

Looking at the back of the Nose-section to fused joint. Looks like you must be, ticked off as much as me, with how they decided to have the two nose sections join back there.

It looks like there is a ladder mount point or something open in this pic (just in front of the inlet ramp and beneath it). I can't recall if that gets filled in later or not, but it should be closed given the engines are running.

Thats where the ladder goes, there is a plug to fill it in if not using the ladder.

Wow, how more awesome can this get?! Brilliant progress so far Jin. But hey, if you wanna be very accurate, I gotta give you a lil heads-up in advance regarding the Revell CFTs. Apparently, the shape is a little off especially on the part where the CFT meets the wing root. It should be closer to the wing root as what Academy managed to nail. Keep up the good work there Jin! I'll be watching this one! :thumbsup:

I don't think I've ever head that before, and the Revell CFT's seem to fit fine to me. A little tricky to get them to stick along the entire airframe, but I believe that's more because they get twisted a little on the sprue more than any kind of shape issue. Where did you hear that they were off?

The model's looking great so far. I like how you are taking the best of all the different kits and combining them into one.

Aaron

Most noticeable from a distance "looking at it from across a room" is the top were it meats the wing root/shoulder. Makes the shoulders of the F-15E look fatter, also from a shadow line perspective. It comes under it to much and does not have the curve to it. That also screws it up from an angle look, since that problem messes up the shape in two Dimensions. Another words, its not as fat and or comes up the wing root, it pinches and comes under it. Pretty much the entire shape is wrong even the bottom.

F-15ECFTcompare.jpg

F-15ECFTcompare1.jpg

Here it is Aaron! Something that I wasn't aware of until I saw that thread.

Now here is the Academy one. This was my previous 1/48 of the initial release which has a more accurately reproduced CFT. :cheers:

CIMG0503.jpg

Thank you guys for you kind comments, through the progress moving forward, I realized Revell's CFT do have tiny issues about the shape just like what Qian said, and to those who wantted to replace those parts by Academy's, I couldn't say the fit was not acceptable, but... personally, I preferred modifying the Revell's part to re-scribling everything on Acad's... I mean to fixing the shape issue of Revell is simpler than the job you'll put onto the Academy's.

And another thing is the intake... especially inside walls... I'll update some pic over that area soon, I'd say it's not easy... and probablly I won't do it agian on the next Eagle...

Regards,

Jin

A couple thoughts here:

1. Not sure what you mean by Academy panel line rescribing. In both cases, any of the long, vertical top to bottom panel lines should be filled in. The only panel lines I can recall on CFTs are the MX access hatches. I do believe with poly putty the Revell CFTs could be shaped correctly relatively easily.

2. Putting down ramp inlets on the Revell kit was probably the biggest time sink I put into mine. It was truly a chore, and I went through several iterations before getting something decent. As you point out, it is the inside of the inlet that goes to crap. I started working it here, then did some more stuff, then finally got them on here, but as you can see here, planning ahead would have helped. Easily the longest part of the construction.

Thanks Qian, I tried fixing the issue with the CFTs, now they look okay to me...

IMG_5569.jpg

IMG_5570.jpg

Intakes should be painted first, I refered this part from Jake's Modern Eagle Guide.

IMG_5556.jpg

GPS antena with one forward strengthen plates

IMG_5574.jpg

IMG_5573.jpg

This is the nightmare I talked about earlier, I don't know why Revell mold it like which it is. I can understand the "plug" will help to position, but still why? Have to put tons of putty to fill this area.

IMG_5576.jpg

Jin

A couple thoughts here:

1. Not sure what you mean by Academy panel line rescribing. In both cases, any of the long, vertical top to bottom panel lines should be filled in. The only panel lines I can recall on CFTs are the MX access hatches. I do believe with poly putty the Revell CFTs could be shaped correctly relatively easily.

2. Putting down ramp inlets on the Revell kit was probably the biggest time sink I put into mine. It was truly a chore, and I went through several iterations before getting something decent. As you point out, it is the inside of the inlet that goes to crap. I started working it here, then did some more stuff, then finally got them on here, but as you can see here, planning ahead would have helped. Easily the longest part of the construction.

Man... I read your post after I put everything in place... damn... all pics and tips are now saved as... they gonna be excellent helpful next time! Thank you!

This is shaping up to be an excellent Strike Eagle! And nice work on correcting the launcher. Keep at it.

Yes sir! Thank you:)

I like the shaka sign the pilot is giving :thumbsup:

LoL, "Good to go!"

cool project

Thanks man, looking forward your Mudhen, too. I guess very soon, right? LoL

Edited by viperbite

Looking good bud :cheers:

Why did you put them pitot tubes in the intakes? The two Probes your thinking of, are on the side of the Fuselage close to the nose rear gear door. Look at the Revell instructions "Step 9 (A)" you should see the placement and parts.

Edited by Wayne S