1/48 Tamiya Fieseler Storch and Diorama

Well, I've decided to make this my next big project of one of my all time favorite aircraft, the Fieseler Fi.156 C-3 Storch. I'll be doing this build completely out of the box...minus the Eagle Edition Decals, completed Voyager Aftermarket resin and photoetch set, Eduard die-cut flexible masks, Eduard Luftwaffe ground crew, Tamiya Volkswagen Type 82E Staff Car (aka. Beetle), and the aide of the Squadron/Signal publication "Fieseler Storch in Action" reference book...so yeah, OOB. :bandhead2:

101_3318.jpg

Not only do I plan on trying my hardest to make a good looking Storch, this will also be my first Diorama, first vehicle (the beetle), and the first figures that I've ever built. So I do expect to face many challenges during this build, but it should be a fun...but long...build.

I will be building an Fi.156 C-3 Storch with the extended exhausts and the external tank suspended between the gear legs. The plan so far is to do the Storch 1.(H) 32 based in Finland, used by the Luftwaffe, but I may change my mind before the end. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated with this build...no..."adventure" as I complete the Storch Diorama.

Thanks for looking!

SLICK

Edited by slick95

Hi Slick, this sounds like a neat venture so I'll tag along if I may?

I'm sure you remember Thoms' build from '08 which gives some cool photos of the assembly plus much more.

I hope your first foray into the world of ground targets proves enjoyable. I'm keen to see how that Beetle looks alongside the Storch. If it's up to tamiyas usual standard I'm sure it will be impressive. If you get any problems or need any advice you might drop matrixone a line...he built the Bug a while ago. See here

Lastly, if you're just getting into figures be aware that it's it's very easy to overdo things. For example, many first time figure painters try to paint in the eyes, even at 1/48th scale. Actually, the eyes can be suggested more successfully by using shadow, highlight and a wash. The guys who paint miniatures for wargaming do some stella work. If you have a Games Workshop store near you I'd suggest dropping by and chatting with those guys. I'm sure they'll be happy to pass on some tips and once you've seen some of their miniatures painted up you'll see what I mean about light and shadow :)

If you can't make it to a store then pick up a copy of "White Dwarf". There are usually some painting tips or articles that you could follow to help out with painting your figures. HTH

Good luck with the build Slick and please keep us all posted on your progress.

:D

Thanks a lot for the links geedubelyer! I had forgotten about Thoms build from a while back. I'm glad you brought it back to my attention. It will be a huge help!

As everyone may already be able to tell, this is going to be a fairly long term project. Progress so far has been a bit slower than I would like, but there have been two other projects getting in the way as well as preparing to go back to school...but, such is life!

Anyway, so far here is what little I have accomplished. I'm almost finished with the construction of the engine. I hope to put some paint on the engine when I break out the airbrush to do the base coats on these two...

101_3326.jpg

So far the construction has consisted of assembling some small parts, and then gluing on some even smaller parts!

I started by removing the molded push rods in order to add the PE ones. Once I removed the push rods, I rescribed the fins on the cylinder heads, then attached the new push rods.

101_3319.jpg

This was surprisingly easy...but I had spoken too soon, because next came the ignition wires. This was FAR MORE trouble than it was worth, but they are all on finally! I dropped them a number of times and spent a large amount of the building period crawling around on the floor trying to find these microscopic parts!

101_3321.jpg

Here you can see the completed rows of cylinders.

101_3322.jpg

The next part was an easy session of kit assembly, followed by some modifications to add the brass cross over intake bracing piece...or at least I think that's what it's supposed to be!

101_3323.jpg

This was followed by some more assembly until the engine was complete. I also began working on the engine mounts and exhaust. I will finish prepping these and hope to put some paint on the parts either tonight or tomorrow morning.

101_3324.jpg

101_3325.jpg

Thanks for watching! I hope this build doesn't get too boring!

SLICK

Edited by slick95

Hello, Slick old friend!

This is going to be one hell of a project and you already made a good start!

I will follow you with interest for sure and most likely you will make me break down and buy me the Tamiya Storch! :thumbsup:

Keep it up, buddy! :bandhead2:

FAB

Thank you for the complements guys!

Fabster, after watching your Fw-190 build...I think the Storch is a worthy opponent for your skills! I would love to see what a masterpiece you could make out of it!

Anyway, doesn't look like much progress, but the past two days have been full of small detail painting. But the engine is finally finished. The paint is not as flat as I would like, so I plan on fixing that in the near future.

101_3334.jpg

101_3336.jpg

EDIT: I'll try to get some better engine pictures later.

SLICK

Edited by slick95

Fine looking motor Slick :D

The etch and added details are well worth the effort.

Did the exhausts get so rusty? (Just curious)

Do you ever use pastels to weather your details? They might dull down the sheen some...... :huh:

Looking forward to the next instalment :D

:cheers:

Thanks geedubelyer!

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm too happy with the look of the exhaust yet. I wasn't really going for a rusty look (which is definitely what it looks like), but more along the lines of the heated, but stainless look shown here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/karstenf/2777097513/

I haven't tried weathering with pastels yet. I've never done this before, but I know I will need to do that during this build also.

Thanks again!

SLICK

Wow! Great pic Slick, thanks for the link. In the original size you can make out every detail.

I can see what you mean about the colouring now.

Here's what I did on my recent Spittie if you're interested. Ignoring the rust I think the colours look similar to those on the Storch you linked to. This next link explains the method I used in case it's any use to you.

HTH

:)

Really nice job on that engine, Slick! I really like the way it turned out.

Not sure what brand of flat varnish you used here (I dont see anything wrong with it, btw) but I have used Testors Dullcote for years and havent found anything that gives a flat flatter than it! Maybe you could give it a try?

Hey, I remember now I do have a Storch in my stash. It's the 1/35th scale kit from Tristar. A real beauty if I recall correctly. Now if I could only remember in which box in the garage it is? ha!

Anyway, bring us some more images of the engine if you can. I am sure it'll look even better!

FAB

Thanks everyone! I'm really happy with the quality of this kit! Though it is fairly complex construction (pretty fragile), it really is a joy to build!

Thanks geedubelyer for the link! Those exhaust look great, so I think I will give your method a try!

Fabster, you definitely need to break out that big Storch! I'd say a nice dig through the stash is in order! I did use an old can of Testors Dull Coat, but it just didn't flatten the engine as much as I would like. Though, I think it may be the age of the can, because it use to work just fine. When I do the final dull coat over the interior I will respray the engine.

Since the last update it may look like I haven't progressed much, but I've spent a lot of time out in the shop working on small PE and resin details from the Voyager set. This aftermarket set is OUTSTANDING in both the depth of detail it goes in to, and the quality of the parts! Although it is relatively expensive (and sometimes frustrating to work with the really tiny bits) I would say it is an absolute must if you want to add a huge amount of detail to the already very accurate kit! I just hope I don't get so overwhelmed by the small parts that the Storch ends up making a premature flight...and subsequently ends up in this thread :soapbox: : http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=214887

Anyway, on to the updates for today!

Here you can see some of the fuselage details added. The most work I had to do for this step was to remove a few of the base details and fill some holes. Then I drilled new holes for the lines running down the fuselage structure that go in to the floor. Ohh...and I also had to scrape a little flash off the resin rear bulkhead.

101_3340.jpg

Here is the control stick made up of five pieces. Three photo etch, two of which require bending. One resin stick, and some styrene rod to act as the bearing for which the stick would pivot.

Before:

101_3342.jpg

After:

101_3344.jpg

Here is the stick glued to the base with the Argus in the background.

101_3348.jpg

Next came the pedals and rudder bar assembly. This task was actually a bit easier than I had suspected. The pedals were very easily formed and glued in place on the PE rudder bar.

Here is a little comparison between the finished and just removed from the sprue pedal.

101_3351.jpg

...and here is the assembly attached to the cockpit floor.

101_3353.jpg

Now, back out to the shop to work! Thanks for looking!

SLICK

Edited by slick95

Oh my... I can hardly believe all that PE detail is 1/48. I'm affraid once you finish this project you'll need a new prescription for glasses, my friend <_<

Going back to the sating finish, I always airbrush the DullCote, thinned with regular Laquer Thinner. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

Like you said, perhaps that spray can is too old? You'll figure it out, of course!

Good progress so far!

Cheers,

FAB

VERY SLEEK engine..

As always I know your builds will be tremendously exciting to follow.

They are never boring and your work is very good and detailed just as I like it.

Keep making fantastic models SLICK...just like this one !!

HOLMES :tumble:

Thanks a lot Fabster, jimz66 and Holmes!

Thanks for the info on the dull coat Fabster! I have some Polyscale Flat, but I'm afraid of the stuff because of how difficult it has been to work with in the past. I use it on the final flat coat of all my builds, but that's only after a large amount of time preparing, and I didn't want to break the stuff out only for the engine...so I went with the testors spray can. Once I finish the interior and get ready to lay on a flat coat, I will most likely use the polyscale and do the engine along with the insides.

Again, it doesn't look like much, but I've finished the left fuselage half. I started by filling and sanding the injection marks (I'd rather these be on the outside of the model than between all of the details), and this took quite some time. Then I had to remove the details from the pieces that make up the fuselage structure in order to add their PE replacements.

I wanted to take a quick break from doing the EXTRA SMALL PE detail work, so I opted to start with the SMALL passenger/gunner seat. This was a fun task as the parts were quite a bit larger than any PE I had worked with up to that point...

101_3356.jpg

...but those larger PE parts didn't last long and it was back to work on the small assemblies. Here you cans see the throttle quadrant, which is made up of 8 pieces...6 PE, and two styrene rods.

101_3362.jpg

Just to give you and idea of size...

101_3363.jpg

I also built the elevator trim wheel assembly and attached the chain that operates the flaps.

Here is where the build is at the moment.

101_3364.jpg

I didn't get any work done on the Storch today because I decided to paint the Brewster B339 and P-40 today. It was my first try at free hand camo...I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!

SLICK

Nice PE work, Slick!

I've never been a fan of using PE or resin accessories myself but now you've got me having second thoughts about it!

Yours looks so neat and makes such a difference from plastic parts that I hope with those big side windows you will be able to see all that effort inside the cockpit! :P

Way to go!

FAB

Edited by Fabster

Thanks again Fabster.

Yeah, I enjoy the PE and resin, but it's a little scary to use because there is a real potential to completely screw up the kit. But, I find it to be a risk worth taking!

A little bit of progress today, but I spent most of the time post shading the Brewster and the Curtiss.

101_3372.jpg

Anywho...I did the majority of the work on the right fuselage half, which really didn't include anything more than what appears to be circuit breakers and the door release.

101_3370.jpg

SLICK

Thanks Isaac!

I met a pretty big milestone today! All of the interior construction is finished and the base coat of RLM 02 has been painted.

However, before painting I had to do the final PE and resin sub assemblies.

Here you can see the structure leading up to the metal spar supplied by Tamiya.

101_3374.jpg

I also made the instrument panel today, which consists of 8 pieces of PE and the instrument film.

101_3375.jpg

101_3376.jpg

Next came the compass that hangs from the front windscreen.

101_3380.jpg

Those watching may recognize that I've been using the Tamiya kit supplied masks to mask the insides of the windows. I will then use the aftermarket Eduard masks for the outside. If you plan on painting the interior rather than just the exterior with the internal and external colors this really has to be the best way to do things.

Here you can see the green house ceiling masked and ready for paint.

101_3383.jpg

I also did a bit of work on the upper and lower cowling halves. I started by grinding off the kit pieces where the cowling sections join each other and added the PE parts. I also drilled through the three small scoops on the top cowling. Here you can see the top cowling piece.

101_3381.jpg

Because I am doing the C-5 variant of the Storch, I will be displaying the model without the side cowling pieces. This is because of the overheating issues with the more powerful 270hp Argus engine that was fitted on this and subsequent Storch versions.

Here is the final picture for the night. All of the RLM base color has been painted! Tomorrow I will start detail painting.

101_3385.jpg

I leave for school on Thursday, so updates will start to be few and far between after tomorrow.

Thanks for watching!

SLICK

Because I am doing the C-5 variant of the Storch, I will be displaying the model without the side cowling pieces. This is because of the overheating issues with the more powerful 270hp Argus engine that was fitted on this and subsequent Storch versions.

SLICK

Great build, fantastic interior detailing.

Your comments regarding overheating reminded that there are some fascinating posts over on a historic aviation forum by the pilot of a restored Argus-engined Storch over here in the UK....

This is what he says about the side panels....

Side cowlings - You often see Storch's flying with these removed. The Manual advises their removal in 25C+ OAT's. However, following our extensive test flying, we can reveal that the reason for this is more likely to prevent frying the crew than to keep the engine cool. Indeed, the engine actually runs hotter without them in the cruise, and the cruise performance is reduced. Not a Good Thing.

The pilot doesn't contribute until post #43 - but the rest of the thread has some great photos - and starts here

His comments about flying the Storch make interesting reading. :thumbsup:

HTH.....

Ken

Excelent progress, Slick! You really accomplished a lot in a very short period! Please dont get me wrong here but it's really bad you have to go back to school! :cheers: I mean, to bad for us because you're going to leave us here waiting for a new post with your progress for a long time. Now if I take your beautiful CH-53 as an example I KNOW you will get back to the Storch at the first chance and finish it in a snap!

Congratulations on that interior. Like I said before all that extra work you've put in sure worths it!!! :nanner:

FAB

Thanks a lot guys for the comments!

That link is an beyond useful Ken! Thank you very much! It was an incredibly interesting read, and the pictures are very helpful...especially the pics of the office!

Please dont get me wrong here but it's really bad you have to go back to school! laugh.gif I mean, to bad for us because you're going to leave us here waiting for a new post with your progress for a long time.

Yeah, it's unfortunate...but important! I'll be sure to post updates whenever I get a chance to make any progress on the Storch.

Today I didn't get too much done, because I spent most of the day packing. I was able to do a bit of detail painting, so I'll leave you guys with these three grainy and blurry pictures.

101_3390.jpg

101_3388.jpg

101_3389.jpg

Thanks again for watching! I'll be sure to keep you guys updated!

SLICK