1/48 Hobby Boss F-14D VF-31 519618 OIF

VF-31's '110', BuNo 519618 as she was at the beginning of OIF in 2003.

I used the Hobby Boss 1/48 F-14D, TwoBobs 'Felix in the Fight' decals, Humbrol enamels, W&D Studio pitot and AOA probe, Eduard canopy mask (Godsend!), a GBU-12 donated from a Rafale kit and a really cheap airbrush.

My aspiration was to use as little AM as possible to show what a great kit this is, in my opinion it is superb. It has one or two idiosyncrasies, but still offers a superb amount of value and is a great fitting kit which allows you to make a good looking 'Cat out of the box.

I chose not to fill all the rivets, as I don't mid them. I added small touches here and there to improve the kit, but all was done using what's in the modelling box (wire etc).

Sit back and enjoy.

DSC02576.JPG

DSC02577.JPG

DSC02578.JPG

DSC02579.JPG

DSC02580.JPG

DSC02581.JPG

DSC02582.JPG

DSC02585.JPG

DSC02586.JPG

Thanks Jesni,

Yeah the exhausts are awesome. The petals do need the ring they're stuck to trimming down in order to stick to the shrouds, but it's a sweet deal OOB. The failings are a little 'plain', but with a little creative paint masking and drilling the two holes out, it looks great.

GGGrrrreat model in every aspect!!!...Well Done!

One question...how do you compare it to the Hasegawa offering? If you had a choice which one would you choose?

Ha ha ha, the million dollar question...

First, Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

I'm going to ruffle a few tail feathers here - I would choose this again for a F-14D build any day. The fixes needed are small, the fit is super and the details great. Granted, the spurious rivets and some wayward panels upset many, but with the prices you can now get these at, I feel the OOB detail means you don't need AM to any great extent.

Edited by Parabat

Parabat, just an impressive OOB build. Outstanding paint scheme and weathering. I like to use the phrase: Used but not abused, and your build is certainly that. It's really nice to see an OOB build that looks this good.

Joel, thanks for your very complimentary comments, I think it's always a very hard battle to attain the subtlety yet maintain the impact, which is what I've tried to achieve here. (Great Grumman avatar BTW!)

That is absolutely outstanding. I can see you have corrected the area where the alpha probe meets the radome; it makes the model look much better. Love it!!! :thumbsup:/> And I think I agree with you regarding the HB vs Has argument; your build is proof of just how good this kit can look.

Edited by dryguy
  • 1 month later...

The rivets don't bother me either, Parabat. I have this kit in the stash, but haven't had the brass to build it. Mainly because I'm scared to tackle something scaled down from a Trumpter kit. Maybe it's time? I'm not a huge AM guy either, usually limited to decals. I have been thinking if a VF-2 bird, always liked the Bounty Hunters.

Excellent job, sir.

Edited by afterburner

The rivets don't bother me either, Parabat. I have this kit in the stash, but haven't had the brass to build it. Mainly because I'm scared to tackle something scaled down from a Trumpter kit. Maybe it's time? I'm not a huge AM guy either, usually limited to decals. I have been thinking if a VF-2 bird, always liked the Bounty Hunters.

Excellent job, sir.

Thanks for your kind words. This is definitely a good kit to get going on. Not as tricky as the Hasegawa F-14 and with super detail oob, you can't go wrong on my opinion.

Thanks for your kind words. This is definitely a good kit to get going on. Not as tricky as the Hasegawa F-14 and with super detail oob, you can't go wrong on my opinion.

So I got mine out today, counted 20+ trees of plastic. Not sure I'll use the vinyl tires, did you? May start this one soon once I track down the decals, thought the lure of those Lions on the nose is pretty strong!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So I got mine out today, counted 20+ trees of plastic. Not sure I'll use the vinyl tires, did you? May start this one soon once I track down the decals, thought the lure of those Lions on the nose is pretty strong!

Sorry for late reply, just had a look on this thread again. Yes I did use the vinyl tires, though I have bought some of the excellent looking resin wheels by Wheelliant for future builds after reading some of the vinyl wheel horror stories!

Sure, I wouldn't recommend this though as it has the potential to go wrong!

I masked off what I could, leaving the bomb body exposed. I then applied some Revell Contacta and then stippled the then gloopy surface with the bristles of an old toothbrush. It worked ok-ish, but in future I will use Mr Surfacer 500. Same again, mask and apply, then stipple. I just think it will be a bit more controllable with Mr Surfacer.

Here's a link to a South African modeller's approach to the ablative coating in 1/32 - sugar. Might not work that well in 1/48 though.(might need to scroll down a bit)

http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6634&start=45