Hi all,

Just a recap I'm building the 1/48 Tamiya Swordfish Mk.I with PE from Tamiya and Eduard. The cockpit will be fully detailed and colour scheme will be the half camo pattern as worn by 765th Squadron.

swordfish.jpg

So the build starts but as I'm still waiting for Eduard goodies from Hannants so the cockpit is out of bounds, therefore I have started attacking the wings with a scalpel.

I'm intending to model the leading edge slats open as most were in this position when the aircraft was parked....or should that be moored. It would have been so simple for this to be included in the kit with the option of closed or open slats, but hey who am I to criticize the big 'T'.

slat.jpg

The crisp molding of the Tamiya kit enables a good guide for cutting.

slat_cut.jpg

Simply using a scalpel and repeated cutting along the molded line enables the part to be removed. This operation was repeated for all sections of the upper wing.

slat_wing.jpg

The cut away parts of the slat are then glued together and the edge profile thinned for scale effect. I will need to add some plastic to the hole left in the wing and also the 6 slat actuators need to manufactured from metal and sprue.

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester

:thumbsup: LOOKING GOOD Doc!!! I am interested in following this build to the end, please post lots of pics, and dont worry about "KNOCKING" the big "T", just goes to show you, they all aint perfect!!

Jack aka BUGFAN

With a little time to fill before I start attacking the build proper I have been scouting around for the materials for the diorama.

A local shop was having a closing down sale and a couple of pictures caught my eye. For the princely sum of 50p each I nabbed them, for the frame you understand not the s**t thats inside them.

pictureframe.jpg

Got them home ripped out the junk that it contained and cut some solid foam to fit the back.

base_insert.jpg

Voila.. the start of the dio base.

base_in.jpg

Obviously I can spray the base an appropriate colour before the resin gets chucked in. The cost for this build is escalating with PE and resin so its good to get a bargain along the way.

More to follow.....

Doc

please post lots of pics....

Thanks Jack, I intend posting some progress pics I just wish I could get stuck into the cockpit stuff :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention a big thankyou to Mike Williams (mikeew) for sending me the superb 'Swordfish' book which contains some great reference material. :thumbsup: Thats another beer I owe you!

Cheers

Doc

That would be great Hector Thanks.

Reference photos for the Floatplane version seem pretty scarce though. I have a few blurred photos but nothing too clear, plenty of photos of the Stringbag land planes.

In particular I'm looking at the cable runs for the float rudders and only found this so far.

Barra002.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester
Just forgot to ask, how on earth have you make water on your diorama?

Zdenko Hi,

I have only tried this sort of dio once before and everyone is probably tired of seeing the pictures but if you are interested have a look here.

The method I used was straight from the ARC tools & tips guide, and excellect article by Dana Geraths using a clear casting resin. Its the stuff you see paper weights made from and when set is absolutely clear, which enables you to dye the water whatever colour you want by just adding paint to the resin. Also by building the water up using layers of resin allows you to give a false sense of depth by colouring the resin darker at the bottom and clear towards the top. By simply pressing crumpled aluminium foil into the resin as it sets gives the surface an impressive wave effect, although remember to remove the foil before the resin sets hard!

This is just one way of creating a water effect you can use plaster, filler, silicone even a sheet of glass but I can only comment on the process I used.

HTH :D

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester

Hi,

Well good news that I've eventually received the Eduard PE so I can make a start with the cockpit.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed with this kit but I have been surprised with the amount of sink marks found on the cockpit interior. I did try and fill these but without much success as they are difficult to get at.

side.jpg

So eventually I just ignored them and painted with interior green, the canvas areas painted first with a light brown and then rust red powder brushed in to simulate the red primer staining the fabric.

side_paint.jpg

Then on with the cockpit proper and assembling the raised pilots position.

cockpit.jpg

The pilots seat with alterations allowing the lap belts to pass through the seat.

pilot_seat.jpg

Next up the observers box of tricks, most of which will be buried deep in the cockpit and never seen, so I have only added a little detail but I might wire it up, not sure yet. :bandhead2:

radio.jpg

gun.jpg

The gun which has PE added, shows the magazine for the Lewis is a white colour and I have to produce a few more of these for the cockpit sides.

The rest of the cockpit is slowly coming together in sub assemblies, observers seat w/out belts yet and the centre bulkhead.

bulkhead.jpg

Further areas of the cockpit are being detailed and weathered as I go, still to add cabling and wiring to the cockpit sides.

frame.jpg

More to follow....... :nanner:

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester
i like the wood effect on the mg what method, colours did you use?

So much for my detail painting....... the machine gun shell collector was a canvas bag which was the effect I was trying for.... :blink:

Basically a coat of XF-57 Buff and a wash of burnt umber oil paint.

Thanks for your comments :cheers:

Doc

So much for my detail painting....... the machine gun shell collector was a canvas bag which was the effect I was trying for.... :blink:

Basically a coat of XF-57 Buff and a wash of burnt umber oil paint.

Thanks for your comments :cheers:

Doc

oops my bad, sorry Doc, now that i take a second look, it obviously is a canvas bay -totaly wrong shape to be a gun butt had i been a little more learned on swordfish i would'nt have made that mistake! . ok now its time to take my foot out of my mouth and shove it in another orifice

Cheers

Brad

Dave here is the deal........

You complete the Mavis first thats the deal and then the monster will be entered. :taunt:

As for taking bribes my conscience is clear :cheers:

(a footnote that Doc accepts kits, personal cheques and cash all in the pursuit of his own research you understand! :blink: :rolleyes: )

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester