First time scratch build

:beer4: Hi Guys, some really excellent stuff on here. Finally after many years of modelling I have decided to have a crack at scratch building something. Not 100% sure as to how i'm going to complete this but got to take the plunge one day! The subject has been mentioned on this site very recently and is something I have fancied building for a long time. In truth there is a kit of this little beauty but being a tight wad i'm not paying nearly £50 for it! A vac form from a few years back is ok but has some shape problems around the cockpit area and the fuselage is about 2cm short. I have posted a couple of pics of what I have done tonight, see if you can guess what it will be!

Mystery2.jpg

Mystery1.jpg

Hope you enjoy this as it goes along, even if it ends up a complete disaster I will show it!

Must be mad :yahoo:

Edited by kaburaya
Lockheed Lodestar?

Chappie

Hi guy's

No and no

Nice Sherpa from Aeroclub and Special Hobby just released a Loadstar.

Keep trying, will give another clue when it gets up to 10 guesses.

By the way its 1:72nd scale and about 6.5 to 7 inches long.

Piper Navajo?

Cessna 402?

Chappie

Well done guy's its a Super king air, going to be hopefully a Guardrail variant. The RVHP resin kit in the UK sell at £45.99 + postage, to much for me for a smallish aircraft. I won't pay £60 either for a CMK Bucannear even though I love the airplane :)

Edited by kaburaya

Hi guys just another update on the Guardrail. Got to the messy stage now of filling sanding over and over again until satisfied. Once this is done I'm going to vac form the fuselage half's. Enjoy!

Stage2.jpg

The two half's have been seporated and the bulkheads packed out with scap sprue.

Stage3.jpg

Once dry the entire model is covered with filler and the task of rubbing down and re-filling starts!

More later :beer4:

Edited by kaburaya

Got to the next stage, finally sanded the fuselage to my satisfaction, boy was there a lot of dust! With the weekend here I can get stuck in.

Finallysanded.jpg

Thanks guys for the encouragement :yahoo:

Just checked all the cross sections and done some minor adjustments, more sanding! Switched to the fin for a break, will post pics tomorrow when its done.

Edited by kaburaya

Had some good fun today on the Guardrail. Got the sheet styreen to form the fuselages tomorrow and compleated the fin and tail planes. I have to admit I have not had such fun modelling for a long time, the satisfaction of turning a sheet of plastic card into an aeroplane part is great B)

Here's the next pic, only attached one tailplane to mke it easier to photo. Enjoy, any comments more than welcome.

finjpg.jpg B)

Edited by kaburaya

Hi, just moulded the fuselage halfs. Their not perfect but nothing a little filler can't cure! Marked out the canopy area to be removed and a few other areas roughly marked up for reference. The fin is also done and once added to the fuselage I can add the fin fillet. Going to spend the next few days on the interior and cockpit. Will post more when done.Cheers

Fuselage.jpg

Fin.jpg

You have my full respect (and a good deal of "awe" too!). I've never seen anyone pack an open cross-section with scrap sprue like that----very inventive. Since you've already done so well so far, I'm guessing there will be a second, equally exciting subject someday. May I suggest you have a look at the various sandable/carveable dense polyurethane foam "tooling boards" for this sort of thing in the future?

http://www.freemansupply.com/RenShapeModelingan.htm

You have my full respect (and a good deal of "awe" too!). I've never seen anyone pack an open cross-section with scrap sprue like that----very inventive. Since you've already done so well so far, I'm guessing there will be a second, equally exciting subject someday. May I suggest you have a look at the various sandable/carveable dense polyurethane foam "tooling boards" for this sort of thing in the future?

http://www.freemansupply.com/RenShapeModelingan.htm

Thanks John. Already thinking of my next project, an Embrea Bandeiranti. The foam you have linked to is exactly what I have been looking for, I had an incling at the back of my mind about this substance but just could not remember where I had seen it. Thanks again :)

Evening Guys. Sorry if this is becoming a bit of a bore but this project has got me really enthusiastic. Spent a couple of hours on my RC-12N tonight and got lot done. Rubbing down, adding fin, fin fillet excetera. Model now be given a coat of Mr surfacer so I can check a few things out, do a little more filling and sanding before scribing all the panel lines. After that its making the canopy plug and scratch building the cockpit interior. Hope you enjoy the latest pics.

Peter :cheers:

Port.jpg

Stbd.jpg

Thanks John for the kind words. As I have said before I cannot believe how much fun this is. It doe's give a great deal of sattisfaction to do this kind of thing. I'm still a little worried that I may screw up some time, but the further I get into the project the more imputis there is not to screw up, if you know what I mean! Unfortunately I won't be able to do any today as I have a presentation to go to with my nephew at our local Football (Soccer) Club.

Thanks again

Peter :lol:

Very interesting project. Well done Peter...now how about lights and motors???HEHEHEHEHE

Barney

Now theres an idea! No I think I will stick to my current plans, although I am thinking about my next project. Its either a Banderanti, Soko P-2 Krajug or a Martin Mercator :) Might see which one you guys think I should go for!

Edited by kaburaya