Mi-26 Halo - South Front kit

Guess what the postman brought today?

A huge parcel containg the new 1:72 scale Mi-26 Halo from South Front - thanks to Andrey (Begemot) and Andrey (South Front).

It's one of those kits that says 'drop everything and build me' :nanner:

I'm in a bit of a hurry today - so I just did a quick session photographing the parts - they are on my website HERE

I'll get back when I start building this beast - soon.

Ken

mi-26_002.jpg

Edited by Flankerman
Guess what the postman brought today?

A huge parcel containg the new 1:72 scale Mi-26 Halo from South Front - thanks to Andrey (Begemot) and Andrey (South Front).

It's one of those kits that says 'drop everything and build me' :beer4:

Great! I ordered mine last week from Hobbyterra, so I'm waiting for my postman to bring me my Halo :P

The sprues look very good. Now, please, Mr. Heliborne, Neomega, P&J, whatever, what about a great detailing set?

Or we'll wait to see what Ken does from scratch and copy his work (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all...)

Yuri

Edited by Yuri

Thats awesome, Ken! I hope you will do an in progress thread... :doh:

Chernobyl, one silent minute for those who died. May their soul rest in peace.

Edited by Su-34
Looks nice, but that fuselage breakdown scares the heck outta me, after dealing with the Tu-128.

Now that you said it, yeah, there's something menacing on that breakdown. Looks like there's some filling and sanding ahead. Unless the fit is perfect... Which I pretty much doubt. :doh:

That's one sexy model. My cousin from Prague is coming to visit in May....guess what I asked him to bring over, plus a Mi-6. Hopefully he'll be able to pick up one cheaper than paying for shipping from the States or the Ukraine.

Rich

Great looking kit! Plastic looks very nice, no flash. Ken, how does South Front recommend putting together the fuselage? I'd imagine the best way would be connecting nose+middle+tail for each side first and then join the left/right halves...

What scheme will you build?

The possibilities for diorama are almost endless. I seem to misplace the pic where Mi-26 is dragging another Mi-26 on a sling...

mi26_hastings_trspt.jpg

1143449154.jpg

229_30.jpg

found it

34.jpg

Edited by Zmey Smirnoff
Who will be the first with this diorama?? :thumbsup:

mi-26_ch-47_afghanistan_002.jpg

Ken

The South Front kit contains only minimal interior detail in the cargo cabin - just a cargo floor, a 'roof' and a separate ramp and side doors.

There is no interior ribbing inside the fuselage - nor on the inside of the cargo bay doors.

Modelling it on the ground with the rear doors open and ramp down would require some scratch-building of the interior - so you can either make it all closed up - or in flight.

I quite fancy an in-flight diorama - with the the Mi-26 recovering the Chinook.

With that in mind, I purchased the Italeri MH-47E kit yesterday.......this is the Mi-26 kit temporarily taped up - with the Chinook - for comparison.

mi-26_011.jpg

It does mean that I'll have to make my own decals - but watch this space..... ;)

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
The South Front kit contains only minimal interior detail in the cargo cabin - just a cargo floor, a 'roof' and a separate ramp and side doors.

There is no interior ribbing inside the fuselage - nor on the inside of the cargo bay doors.

Modelling it on the ground with the rear doors open and ramp down would require some scratch-building of the interior - so you can either make it all closed up - or in flight.

Ken

Well, let's hope for a "Heliborne" set...

Both the camouflaged and the aeroflot versions look cool. Don't know which one to choose... maybe an Aeroflot bird, but in soviet times (I'll have to make some custom decals too for the CCCP registration...)

Btw, for the guys looking for something "unusual", during the Chechen war the russians used some Mi-26s unclaimed by Aeroflot, flying them to transport troops and heavy equipment (such as BTR-80s) in full Aeroflot markings.

Edited by Yuri
Btw, for the guys looking for something "unusual", during the Chechen war the russians used some Mi-26s unclaimed by Aeroflot, flying them to transport troops and heavy equipment (such as BTR-80s) in full Aeroflot markings.

Yes, but its was "Halo"s with RU-registration code without five-digit registreation number, only White overpainted spots atop old USSR registration number , it was 2 helicopters, which used by Ministry if Home Affairs, it was belonged to MHU. Later its was repainted in stadard camouflage.

In first Chechen operation most used Mi-6 and Mi-26 in standard Army Aviation colours - grey for Mi-6 and two-tone camouflage for Mi-26.