Trumpeter 1/35 CH-47D crew & Infantry

Just received my Trumpeter 1/35Chinook crew set from Sprue Brothers and I was suprised to see that it comes with a chinook cockpit in case you want to make a diorama. The cockpit sprues are not the same as in the Heli kit with some of the structure and floor moulded as one such as center pedestal (console). The aft bulkhead is one piece with the circuit breakers moulded in as well.

Finally, there is a set of body armor that is made out of rubber, interesting as well.

Nice touch and hopefully there is a review out there. I am not good at giving reviews and maybe later I can take photos.

Sounds pretty nice. How do the figures look? What other accessories does it come with? I am waiting on the review to get this one.

I am new to figures but they look good. Helmets are seperate from the heads so a lot of options. As far as uniformand gear accuracy, I have no clue.

Looks pretty good. Can you get some close-up pics of the figures and the heads? Trumpeter has a problem with heads in their previous sets. They tend to be featureless blobs.

Hope these are clear enough.

heads-1.jpg

heads-2.jpg

Helmets-2.jpg

Camel-baks.jpg

Quick question: Whats the advantage of the vinyl body armor versus just injeciton-moulded plastic like the rest of it?

I can't figure out that one either. The Dragon gear in vinyl from their USMC M1A1 Baghdad kit didn't paint up well and was hard to clean. I didn't see the advantage there either. I think the vinyl is able to hold detail better or something, at least that was the reasoning from Dragon. Looks like they are extras though, as each figure has a plastic torso with it. Hmm, it doesn't look like the ground troopers have IBAs on their plastic torsos though.

Edited by HeavyArty
Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

The chinook pilots do not seem to have chicken plates either. Most if not all -47 pilots are issued chicken plates over in the sand box, or where ever else they are deployed.

I brought the kit to my modeling club meeting tonight and got some good discussions. Still have no clue about the vinyl body armor but the weapons are definetly not current issue. I believe all are pre-1995.

The weapons look fine to me.

Enlarged from the pic you posted above.

TrumpCH-47Dcrewweaponsset.jpg

They look like the same set that comes in their USMC Iraq set, which are all pretty current. They include (clockwise from the upper left) an M16A2, M16A4 with sight and front hand grip, M249 SAW, and an M203A2. The SAW is a little dated with the open butt stock, but is still used in Iraq. I see no issues with the other weapons.

Edited by HeavyArty

So far no one is able to make the correct ALSE vest that aircrews wear. All of the ones that are out now are the old SRU-21 so if you are planning ato build a new helo you have to modify the figures. Vests now days fit over the body armor and not the other way around. I have yet to see the helmets of the figures but I will be surprised if they are the correct HGU-56. Erick

What I thought no NVG mount and the side is to rounded it should be more square. It looks like a HGU-33 or 84 shell with a -56 visor to me . At least a starting point to work with. Here is a photo from flightsuits.com where you can see the sides of the helmet are square. Erick

hgu56.jpg

Edited by CW4 Erick Swanberg
Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Ya, they don't even have a true NVG mount. As Mr.Swanberg said, it is better than nothing. Talk to you later. P.S. Most of the pilots end up putting their chicken plates under there seats.

Jake

Not these days they dont. Most seats are designed to stroke down in a crash to absorb the crash forces putting stuff underneath takes that away and the seats now are made out of kevlar so the vests are worn Erick

Ya, they don't even have a true NVG mount. As Mr.Swanberg said, it is better than nothing. Talk to you later. P.S. Most of the pilots end up putting their chicken plates under there seats.

Jake