F-16 Down in Iraq

Saw this at F-16.net

F-16.net Forum

F-16 Fighter Plane from Toledo Crashes in Iraq; Airman Killed

June 15, 2007 08:50 PM

BALAD AIR BASE, IRAQ -- An F-16 fighter jet from the Ohio Air National Guard has crashed in Iraq. The U.S. Central Air Command says the fighter jet crashed on a close air support mission. Colonel Carole Allen, commander of the 180th Fighter Wing, confirmed for News 11 on Friday afternoon that the plane came from the 180th.

The Air Force says the crash happened at 12:27am local time. There was one crewmember on the plane.

The office of Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur confirmed the crash, saying the pilot's name was not yet known. The incident is still under investigation.

Pilots for the 180th left for their mission in Iraq during the last week of May. While in Iraq, they were expected to fly surveillance and support missions to help ground troops. They are scheduled to return to Toledo later this summer.

The 180th had its official send-off ceremony about a month before leaving for Iraq. Hundreds of family members and friends packed a building at the fighter wing's base at Toledo Express Airport for the send-off. Representatives Marcy Kaptur and Paul Gillmor, along with State Senator Teresa Fedor spoke to the crowd, delivering messages of pride and support.

Count on News 11 to follow them as the story develops.

Horrible news

Wow. Horrible news. I know a ton of Toledo folks. Carole Allen isn't the Commander, but Community Manager/PAO. Super, super, super person, as are all the 180FW people I know.

Jake

My thoughts and prayers go out to the immediate family and to the 180th Fighter Wing family.

Like Jake, I've made many friends with the folks from Toledo as they have been Snowbird regulars.

A sad day indeed.

- W -

Public affairs officer and squadron Executive Officer Colonel Carole Allen has confirmed the aircraft belonged to the 112th FS. Sadly Colonel Allen reported that the pilot, later identified as Major Kevin Sonnenberg, was killed in the mishap. An investigation has started and official details about the loss will take a few months.

Early reports by the USAF are stating the loss was an accident.....................

I have been coresponding with someone for the 112th , although we dont talk about affairs we talk about moral and what it is like. I will copy some excerpts from the e-mail so everyone gets a feeling of what it is like.

"Alive and well in Sunny,dusty, stinking IRAQ. Haven't taken any pictures, but I'll try to get some taken with full body armor. Geez we have to wear in to and from work. It's hot and heavy. That and I have to carry a 9M. YEAH BABY, I'M PACKIN! "

" Everything is concrete stone and sand so it's easy to get disoriented and at night it's even more inspiring. Between the aircraft noise going 24/7 they treat you with real live motor rounds and controlled denotations."

Jake, Kevins name is on 89-2082. We saw this jet at Toledo in 2004, this aircraft is or was in Iraq for this deployment. I have several shots of it from 2004 but do not have my images in a position to post, I will try to get something going.

Joe

Edited by 78-0001
It says "airman killed"....that doesn't sound encouraging at all.

Nothing more to say.....terrible.

Crap - I read the story but not the headline.

Damn. I was hoping.

Newest article from AF.mil

Maj. Kevin Sonnenberg was the pilot of the F-16 Fighting Falcon who crashed about 50 miles north of Baghdad shortly after takeoff June 14.

An earlier article from AF.mil

Shortly after the aircraft was reported missing, a joint effort by coalition air and ground forces responded to secure the crash site. Evidence recovered was used to determine the status of the pilot.

That could mean anything, but it makes me worry.