B-25J Solid nose question

Hi Dave  I have got Squadron/Signals B25 walk around and it looks like a med-green all round , but I have seen some with natural metal bomb bay but the walk round would be a good starting point for you.         all the best with the B25 Les (wellzy)

Hi, what would be the correct colours for a B-25J solid nose version. Zinc green for the cockpit and fuselage, and zinc yellow for the bomb bay, engine nacelles and wheel wells ??

Thanks,

David.

I recently did some fairly extensive digging into this issue for a TB-25J project and this is what I came up with (this is based on quite a few sources, including noted historian Dana Bell):

Cockpit (including glare shield) : Dull Dark Green

Everything aft of the cockpit (navigators area, waist, tail gunner's area): Yellow-green/Interior Green primer. Early aircraft used mixed yellow green, but Dana Bell states Interior Green SHOULD have been in use when the B-25J was produced.

Bomb Bay, Gear wells: Natural aluminum

Instrument panels: Instrument Black (semi-gloss)

Beware of photos in some of the walk-around or detail books. Many are of restored aircraft and may not be correct.

Hope this helps!

Edited by EDWMatt

EDWMatt Has the basic poop down right. I looked at as many photos as I could when building my B-25H. Cockpit Interior green, all else yellow green- bomb bay in aluminum or yellow-green. I picked a green bomb bay 'cause I hate painting stuff silver. :D Here's a shot of my 1/72 Hasegagawa effort.

Interior_01.jpg

so as to avoid confusion in the above pics, chukw calls interior green "yellow-green". This shade is Zinc Chromate (which is the sickening yellow color) tinted with black to make it green. Also called Green Zinc Chromate, it was standardized on as Interior Green during the war. what chukw refers to as "cockpit interior green" is Dull Dark Green, as noted by Dana Bell, which was used in many cockpit areas, especially in the beginning and middle of the war. There is a more in depth discussion on this topic pinned on this forum. HTH clear things up some.

• 3 weeks later...
Would the same color recommendations apply to B-25Bs as well? Just curious as I picked up the AM 1/48 kit a couple days ago and I fancy building a Doolittle Raider with it.

No, it would most likely be Zinc Chromate with Bronze Green cockpit. Some photo references indicate that the nose compartment may have been painted Bronze Green aswell. The bomb bay appears to have been coated with aluminium laquer on all B-25 models.

Suggested reading: Interior Colours of US Aircraft, 1941-45 by Martin Waligorski of IPMS-Stockholm.org.

Per