My wallet felt a bit heavy so I ordered a Transport Wings 1/72 747 from Hannant's. Now the wallet is lighter and more manageable. I didn't know if everyone knew it was back yet, so here you go... The Transport Wings 1/72 747 100/200 is back!

Now, where am I going to put it....?

-Tom

Is this a vac kit?

I've never seen it, but as I understand it, the major parts are vac formed, flap tracks and engine intakes are resin, the landing gear is soft metal (pewter?), and there may be photoetched parts to detail the gear. There are decals for windows, plus decals for Pan Am, although mine will probably be TWA.

Others may know more about these.

The fuselage and wings are precut-saves you some work.

Tom,how much did you pay for postage?

Isaac

I haven't seen the charges yet. I'll post the amount when I find out. the model itself comes to about $210.00, probably due to the dollar being so weak. I have a vast automotive/truck collection, so I threw a few of those kits on eBay to cover this.

I've known for over a year it was coming, and even though the price is high, I doubt you could get it on eBay any cheaper. the last Transport Wings DC-10 went for MUCH more.

I'd love to find the Transport Wings 767...

cmhjets, is there any chances that you could post photos of that beast ? I happen to have the Qantas 767-200 and Austrian MD-81 (or 87 ? Can't remember) and wanted to compare the quality of both kits.

Thank you in advance.

Regards, Stéphane

cmhjets, is there any chances that you could post photos of that beast ? I happen to have the Qantas 767-200 and Austrian MD-81 (or 87 ? Can't remember) and wanted to compare the quality of both kits.

Thank you in advance.

Regards, Stéphane

I'll provide a link to pictures when it arrives, Stéphane.

-Tom

As soon as I saw it listed I order one, it arrived a couple od weeks ago. I haven't opened the clear bag but from what I can remember from another I already had, there's no photo etch ( I could be wrong though) I cant tell you what the postage is for sure as I had bought a 1/72 An-22 at the same time and they both got shipped together. Looking at my invoice though, the pair cost GBP 38.22 for the shipping

Here's the Hannant's description of it: Boeing 747-100/200 with JT9D engines. Airframe parts are all pre-cut vacformed 2mm polystyrene, with resin engine intakes, jet pipes and flap tracks, cast metal landing gear parts and etched brass and nickle silver detail parts. Decals are for the original Pan Am later billboard schemes, with separate window and door decals. The kit includes a full-colour A5 instruction booklet which can be downloaded as a pdf file

Hmmmn. What exact details does it have? SATCOM antenna? H.stab fillet fairings? Tailcone lighting configuration? APU intake version?

Looks like it has the original pylons.

No there's nothing like that in the kit, it's fairly basic. Transport Wings do a -400 (elongated top deck) and a -400 Freighter (it's a conversion for the 100/200) and an E-4B and VC-25. I'm assuming these will be released sometime in the near future as they are just getting back into production according to their website.

http://www.aim72.co.uk/ The E-4B and VC-25 come with the CF engines which I've been told have a moving fan. Chatting with Neil Gaunt a couple of months ago he's hinting there might be a YAL-1 too. We'll have to wait and see if that comes about. AIM also do the shuttle carrier conversion plus decals for the earlier version (I've got one of those)

I can imagine the precut vacuform idea will make it much more popular than a straight vacuform. One of the reasons I haven't tried a vacuform is I don't want to have to cut all the pieces out. Great idea on their part.

It's only 'rough' cut, you still have to sand the parts down to the right size. I think they are done this way to keep the shipping down, the 1/72 C-5 I've got came in a box twice as big as the one I got which had this model and a An-22 in it and was twice the shipping cost because the parts are still in the backing sheet. The box the An-22 comes in is just as long as the 747.

Edited by kitnut617

Would you consider this a good start for a first vac kit? I have built kits before (mainly an RC boat) that only provides with templates for cutting some parts, and have others tampo printed on one large sheet of styrene, so that you have to cut them out (ie no parts on a sprue) so the work isnt a major deal to me.

I have always been afraid of vac kits because they are thin, and because you have to do a lot of the major cutting.

I really hope that there are more 1/72 large airliner-type aircraft - specifically the KC-10

Anthony,

AIM has previously released a DC-10 with a KC-10 conversion set. You may have seen some of EF's posts on it. Maybe they will reissue the DC/KC-10 kits again sometime.

:D

Hmmmn. What exact details does it have? SATCOM antenna? H.stab fillet fairings? Tailcone lighting configuration? APU intake version?

Looks like it has the original pylons.

I downloaded the instruction manual, and it shows two photoetch frets. One has wipers, pitots, blade aerials, etc. The other has landing gear details.

They also say the 747-400 is available. I assume this is a carryover from when it WAS available(?)

I guess so since they say the whole sales are going through hannants now, and they only have 1 kit listed and that's the 741/2. The E-4B and AF1 which they talk about in the manual is also from the first time they released it I guess.

That Wright flyer is also for sale together with 4 other kits but they are from different branches of AIM, being Historical Wings and Rugrats...

Edited by Fiddler
  • 2 weeks later...

A size comparison, The Transport Wings 747, The Transport Wings DC-10, and a 737-200, all in 1/72 scale. I think you've seen from other postings just how large the DC-10 is...

Jetcomparison.jpg

Edited by cmhjets