I was dumb and bought the old In Action series book about the Gunslingers. Now that I have a new respect for those maniacs (I mean that in a respectfully awe struck way) who flew the AH-1G I also would like to get the big kit Monogram made,I think it was 1:32. Does anyone know if that's still available?

I believe so. I picked up one last year from Hobby Lobby.

[edit]After a brief search, maybe not. The 1:35 AH-1W is currently in stock at several vendors. You'll most likely need to ask around for somebody's extra stash item.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Sean,

Hugh Mills, Jr., who is profiled in that Gunslingers book, wrote a book (with Robert Anderson) about his first tour in Vietnam as an aeroscout pilot called 'Low Level Hell'. I highly recommend it. There were a few nights I should have gone to bed but couldn't because of how riveting that book is. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers,

Alby

Flyingfortress,

I've got a spare 1/32 MO AH-1G for sale. I'm in the UK. PM me if you want to do a deal.

Regards,

Gerard

I was dumb and bought the old In Action series book about the Gunslingers. Now that I have a new respect for those maniacs (I mean that in a respectfully awe struck way) who flew the AH-1G I also would like to get the big kit Monogram made,I think it was 1:32. Does anyone know if that's still available?
Hi,

I only know the Revell 1/32 AH-1G. I there also a Monogram AH-1G in 1/32?

If you want to build an aircraft flown by Hugh Mills, there was a Dragon OH-6 with decals for "Miss Clawd".

Cheers, Stefan.

AFAIK, there is only one 1/32 AH-1G mold, but don't remember if the original issue was labeled Revell or Monogram (I think it was Revell, though).

This kit is still available at most hobby shops. There are about seven total iterations of the model. Revell initially released it in 1969/70. They re-released it a lot. Revell Germany just recently released it. Then Monogram hopped on the bandwagon and released the kit. I would recommend buying one of these kits only for the new sprue which has things like the anti-collision light, tail lights, better rocket pods (see later comments) and a few other nice to have parts. It is an okay kit. I have three built so far.

Let me recommend the Cobra Company interior. You MUST have this set as it adds greatly to the model. The Cobra Company rocket pods or the XM-35 gun system are also nice additions. Fireball Modelworks makes a tail rotor and exhaust conversion for the kit that I think are essential as well, but check your version you may not need the tail rotor mod. I think the exhaust mod is essential as well. Fireball Modelworks also has two decal sheets, one for the US Army and one for foriegn operators. They are both very nice. Fragile as they are Alps decals but very nice. Superscale did a sheet years ago that may still be available. There is an Eduard set, 32-16, that is long out of production and very difficult to find, but it does contain some nice things. Most have been done in the Cobra Company sets.

Of course, as mentioned elsewhere Werner's Wings (yeah that is me) has a vacuform canopy that works really well. I think it is essential to use as well, not because I sell it but it makes the overall look of the kit that much better. If I didn't think it was worth the money I would have never invested my money to get it made for my kits and others. You can PM me if you are interested in the canopy. They are $7 USD each and $4 shipping. I take paypal, cash, or checks.

I like the kit but it does require a little work, but I think the results are worth the effort. I wish the model companies would come out with a new kit in 1/35th scale, or 1/48th or 1/72nd that is up to todays standards and doesn't require lots of aftermarket stuff.

Also if you have trouble finding the kit, please contact the Cobra Company when you buy the interior and tell him I sent you. I would bet he can hook you up.

As for that "Gunslingers in action", it changed my life literally. I was third in my class when it came time for aircraft selection and I was going to fly Blackhawks. About two weeks prior to aircraft selection I went to the museum and bought Gunslingers. Like you I was impressed and changed my mind. I wanted to be a gun driver. Aircraft selection came out and I was a Snake driver. Read "Low Level Hell" it is a great book. IMHO it is THE book on Air Cav in Vietnam. It is very exciting. I've read it four times so far.

Here are two of my examples.

Floyd

DSCN8910small.jpg

DSCN8905small.jpg

CopyofDSCN8973.jpg

DSCN8977.jpg

CopyofDSCN8975.jpg

DSCN8968.jpg

wow floyd they are nice!!!

just wondering...how much does all that aftermarket stuff add up to in the end?

Thanks but if you have to ask you can't afford it. LOL Seriously those aircraft and the one I don't have photos of are labors of love. I didn't think about how much they cost as I really wanted to have them in my collection. If you go to the Cobra Company and Fireball Modelworks websites you'll get an idea. Definitely more than the kit costs.

Floyd

not too pricy. now you got my going again Floyd. Cobra...here i come!! Think i wil use the fireball models sheet "AH-1G Part 2: Snakes with New Skins"

Sean, if your willing to pay overseas shipping there are quite a few on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Revell-helicoptere-B...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REVELL-MONOGRAM-BELL...VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Revell-Bell-AH-1G-Co...VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MONOGRAM-1-32-BELL-A...VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REVELL-1-32-BELL-AH-...1QQcmdZViewItem

hope that helps.

Richard

Hi,

I must recommend Floyd's canopies.

I bought a Revell Cobra years ago, looked at the kit canopy and put the kit in the stash. If it weren't for Floyd's canopies, I don't think I'd ever invest the time to build the kit.

Get them while you can.

Cheers, Stefan.

I agree about Floyd's canopies. Although I dont have one (yet) I've built the kit and tried to cut the kit canopy open. I broke the top part and spent a long time scratchbuilding a new canopy. It came out ok, but I wish Floyd's had been around when I was building mine.

Mike