What scale are you planning to do. If 1/72 there have been several resin conversions availible over the years. The best of them I have seen (I've looked at at least 3 different ones) is the one made by Highplanes in Australia that gives a new body and radome and uses every thing else from the Hasegawa kit and is specifically designed and fitted to the Hasegawa kit and is the best conversion available. Can't speak for other scales but I believe a conversion has also been done in 1/48. HTH

Cheers

Bruce

P.S. You need to be sure to get the correct Hasegawa kit to start with as the Highplanes kit uses the cowling ring from the Hasegawa kit so you need the kit with the same ring as the TBM3W (the TBM 3 kit off the top of my head)

Edited by RCAFFAN
What scale are you planning to do. If 1/72 there have been several resin conversions availible over the years. The best of them I have seen (I've looked at at least 3 different ones) is the one made by Highplanes in Australia that gives a new body and radome and uses every thing else from the Hasegawa kit and is specifically designed and fitted to the Hasegawa kit and is the best conversion available. Can't speak for other scales but I believe a conversion has also been done in 1/48. HTH

Cheers

Bruce

P.S. You need to be sure to get the correct Hasegawa kit to start with as the Highplanes kit uses the cowling ring from the Hasegawa kit so you need the kit with the same ring as the TBM3W (the TBM 3 kit off the top of my head)

If you plan to do the TBM-3W at 1/72 scale, Mach2 released it some times ago and can be easily found, but beware, this is short run mold and the quality is far to be considered as good. But it's accurate in shape and size.

For the 1/48 scale Bruce is right, there's a conversion made by MDC and it's pretty nice . MDC TBM-3W conversion set

And if I remember, Esci issued a TBM-3W too.But I suggest Hobby Boss avenger with MDC conversion.

Hope this helps

Luc

• 3 weeks later...

This is great, thanks for the drawings.

I am currently working on a conversion for the Avenger TBM-3W with large radar for the Trumpeter kit in 1/32 scale.

I previously did a one-off conversion of a TBM-3S2 , and would like to have the -3W in the collection as well.

Also, I might consider to use my basic conversion to create a simple set in resin for other modellers as well, but don't have a glue if this is worthwhile.

Edited by meindert
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
And if I remember, Esci issued a TBM-3W too.But I suggest Hobby Boss avenger with MDC conversion.

Hope this helps

Luc

ESCI did the AD-4W Skyraider, unfortunately not a TBM-3W. The ESCI kit is buildable, it just is a bit lacking in details. I've got two of them started and I did enjoy them, but doing all the filling and sanding around those side panels was a real pain. I had one at the painting stage when I managed to pop both observer bulges out of place. <_<

• 1 month later...
Those are fantastic links! Is there a similar one for the Japanese version of TBM-3S2 ? I'm finding the Hasegawa limited kit to be a bit too pricey & would like to make my own conversion.

SprueBrothers has them on clearance. I picked one up. At $43, that's probably the best price you'll see.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/categories....Keyword=TBM-3S2

(I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer).

:rolleyes:

Mike

SprueBrothers has them on clearance. I picked one up. At $43, that's probably the best price you'll see.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/categories....Keyword=TBM-3S2

Thanks Mike. I'm really wringing my hands on this one. $43 is still a high price to pay for a small 1/72 kit with just a few extra bits of resin thrown in. Also, the canopy doesn't look too clear. Here's Grant's review of the kit:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....17&hl=JMSDF

And he himself was touch & go on getting the kit. Understandable...given the price and what little you get for it <_<

Btw, have you seen what Mr. Asao Shirai did with just the standard Hase kit?

http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/galleries/tbm3s272aj_1.htm

Truly inspirational!

Profiles and canopy profiles only:

TBM-3S profile drawings

TBM-3S canopies

Main page here:

TBM Drawings

And here:

TBM Drawings 2

Brilliant! Thanks much, Lance! :cheers: