Revell 1:48 Mig-21PF?

Just saw the flyer at the local shop for the upcoming 1:48 Mig-21 kit. Am I correct in assuming this is the same kit that was in the 2 kit "conflict in the middle east" box, where it was paired with the F-16?

Charlie

Edited by Charlie D.

Yep - gotta be that old kit - had me going there for a second:

http://www.revell.com/catalog/products/85-5482.html

But you know, Eduard did note that they thought a MiG-21F was coming, and that was the reason that they weren't considering a 1st Gen MiG-21 - I'd sooner guess that Eduard knows what's going on with Revell AG vs. what randomness is coming from Hobby Boss or similar PLA Hobbies branding.

Paul

Yep - gotta be that old kit - had me going there for a second:

http://www.revell.com/catalog/products/85-5482.html

But you know, Eduard did note that they thought a MiG-21F was coming, and that was the reason that they weren't considering a 1st Gen MiG-21 - I'd sooner guess that Eduard knows what's going on with Revell AG vs. what randomness is coming from Hobby Boss or similar PLA Hobbies branding.

Paul

How is that old kit? Can't find anything online about it?

Charlie

How is that old kit? Can't find anything online about it?

Charlie

That goes to show how old it is!

The two times I recall it being out were in the 70's in an all red scheme and theearly 80's 'dogfight' box with the early Revell F-16 in an Israeli vs Syrian 1982 markings. I honestly cannot remember it being out in the last 25 years. Once Academy's came out I figured they'd recycled this one. Not a bad kit IIRC but definately state of the art Carter era modeling!

I had both the Dogfight kits, the F-16 vs MiG-21 and the F-15 vs MiG-25. If you know the MiG-25 you know the MiG-21. Basic to say the least. For a cheap not too detailed build, go for it. For a kid wanting to work up their skills, go for it, to practice your super detailing, go for it, but its not Tamigawa or TrumpyBoss by any stretch of the the name. Not even classic Monogram. Think early Revell way before the merge because that's exactly what it is.

• 3 months later...

I have this old workhorse, in Portuguese, from Brazil. It is all raised panel lines and cheesy "working" features. As a base stock representation, it will do I suppose.

Compared to modern shake-and-bake, detailapalooza wonderkits, well - it aint even close.

• 2 weeks later...

as i can get the Academy kit for less than 15$, i just can't see any interrest in that old revell kit (that i did, once, a long time ago... in a Red display team color)

at least, the revell 1/48 su-25 is.... is... is... the sukhoi t-8 preserie-something!

by the way, richard, yours look nice to me!

congrats and welcome back in the hobby!

as i can get the Academy kit for less than 15$, i just can't see any interrest in that old revell kit (that i did, once, a long time ago... in a Red display team color)

at least, the revell 1/48 su-25 is.... is... is... the sukhoi t-8 preserie-something!

by the way, richard, yours look nice to me!

congrats and welcome back in the hobby!

Thanks. Mine was in a red display team color too. I do have the Academy kit to start on next, so the Revell kit is serving as a canvas for me to practice modern modelling techniques.

Its one of the pre-merger Revell kits. It may not be the bells and whistles of the Academy kit, but at the same time you don't have an overly complicated build from it as Academy tooled up some common bits on their PF to work with the MF and it results in a bit more fill work needed. Quality-wise, it is certainly better then Revell's pre-merger F-14 effort in 1/48, but perhaps not quite as good as their F-16 (the one that formed the basis for the F-16 ADF after Revell was bought by Monogram's owners, but a few years away from the full merger).

The majority of the low priced kits being reissued by Revell USA this year are Monogram based ones, but I am glad to see a couple of the better Revell efforts are available again.

• 5 years later...

This is an old thread but I thought to bump it up.

This is in fact a 1977 Revell kit that I started on the weekend.

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/jpegs/Rev%20H237%20Mig%2021.JPG

In comparison with Academy and Eduard 1/48 MiG-21PF, this is not even close. We are talking about the 70's anyway. Dry fitting was horrible. Fuselage halves were off by almost a millimetre and lots of filler was needed at the wing roots and vertical stabilizer root just to prep the model for priming. The hinged canopy was also a disaster so I decided to glue it open.

I am going to make the Egyptian Yom Kippur version.

Edited by Fulcrum Pilot