My Refueling Basket How to build post...Many have asked.

I have received many...many PM's asking how I made my inflight refueling basket.

Since I began modeling last year I have received many encouraging post and help. Now it's time to offer back anything that may be of help to others.

I hope this post is helpful to anyone that may be interested. This is the method I used and described to best of my ability. The scale of it when completed using the measurments I'm providing seem to give a very good 1/48 scale representation.

Here was the motivation photo..

harrierbasket.jpg

Here is the list of the supplies I used....

1) Beer and more beer.

2) Paper towel

3) Elmers Glue

4) 4.8mm/.187 Round Styrene

5) .010 .020" Stryrene strips

6) .33 Galvanized Steel wire

7) Super glue

8) Foil Tape

8) Wire dry cleaner hanger

9) Electrical wire heat wrap 3" x 3/32" Diameter

DSC_1156.jpg

The steps

The first thing I made was the parachute to attach to the arms. This was done using paper towel.

1) Cut a piece of paper towel about 2" long and 1/18" wide.

2) Fold the piece of paper towel over a piece of the wire hanger.

3) Mix a bit of white Elmer glue and water.

4) Brush the water and glue mixture over the paper towel.

5) Let dry over night.

DSC_1165.jpg

Once the paper towel was dried I needed to make it round. This was done by wrapping it around the open end of a marker cap.

1) Gently work the dried paper towel around the open end of the marker cap.

2) Connect the ends to each other and over lap a small bit not to make too much of a bulge.

3) Use a toothpick and coat the towel with Super Glue.

4) Once dry..wa..la..a parachute.

The width of the marker used was 9/16" across. Also, here is an image I quickly shot. I was a little short not connecting the ends, but you can get the idea.

DSC_1158.jpg

After the chute was dried and done I moved onto the arms, coupling, and hose.

The arms were the biggest pain. I have counted 20 on the actual chute assembly, but I went with 18 because it got too tight.

Each arm has two pieces glued together with some Tamiya thin cement.

1) Cut 18 long arms to 9/32"

2) Cut 18 short arms to 5/32"

3) Glue the arms together.

4) I cut an angle on the end of the arm that will attach to the couling. I estimate it at about 45 degrees. I did just enough to flare it out to the chute.

Here are the arms..

DSC_0964.jpg

The arms attach to what I call the coupling. The coupling is made from 4.8mm round styrene cut to a length of 8/32"

1) Cut the coupling from the 4.8mm styrene.

2) Sand one end to tapper it down to where the hose will be inserted.

I found that it was best to drill the opening through the coupling first. The hole needs to be just big enough to accept the 3/32" hose. You need to drill in the whole lenght of the coupling. Once drilled then sand a tapper down to the opening.

As you can see on the actual image the coupling has 6 little vanes running down the side. I just cut 6 to the coupling lenght from the strip styrene and glued them around the coupling evenly.

Once the coupling was complete I glued the 18 arms around it spaced evenly using CA glue. It gets a little tight but there is space between the arms. I flared them out so they would hit the 9/16" width of the chute.

DSC_0971.jpg

Once the arms are dried you can glue that unit to the chute putting the arms inside the chute.

DSC_0974.jpg

After all this it gets pretty easy.

Into the hole in the coupling insert the hose. This goes all the way through the coupling. Into the hose opening the wire hanger refueling probe slides right into the hose and it's all snug.

For me, I wanted to make sure I had maximum strength in the probe. This is why I used the wire hanger. It was the perfect diameter match to both the Wolfpack F-18 & F-14 probes. The wire probe was bent to match the curvature of the arm needed. I inserted it into the fuseage opening about 1/2" with 5 minute epoxy so it was good and tight since it is just hanging out there and could get bumped. Remember since the probe is inserted into the basket you don't need the tip detail on the wire.

DSC_0908.jpg

DSC_0906.jpg

After everything was together I finished it off with some foil tape and the galvanized wire. Paint and weathering finished off the project.

All in all not bad results.

DSC_0996.jpg

Edited by Rhinolover
  • 7 years later...

I can't see any of the pictures - it just says you need to upgrade photobucket which carries a cost of $400 - does anyone have these pictures on file that I could get copies of - saw the article and want to build but when I went back a few days later it was blank

Jerry

Still no joy - says photo bucket not working on every photo in the article - even opening in new tab doesn't work - does anyone have these saved that I could get copies - leaving for IPMS Nats in the morning so may be out of pocket this week but any help would certainly be appreciated - doing an A-3 refueling an F-8 in 1/48 based on planes from my 68 cruise on Ticonderoga CVA-14

On 12/22/2009 at 8:37 PM, Rhinolover said:

3 hours ago, MoFo said:

Right click 'image', open in new tab.

MoFo, did you try this?  It didn't work for me.

I viewed the html source code for this thread and it appears the OP's posts pre-dated the ban on uploading images.  The pathname in the "img src=" tag looks like a link to a local directory on ARC.  leading and trailing caret bracket omitted in the following:

img src="./My Refueling Basket How to build post...Many have asked. - Jet Modeling - ARC Discussion Forums_files/DSC_0964.jpg" alt="DSC_0964.jpg"

Although this doesn't explain the appearance of the PB ransom logo......

Edited by habu2
10 hours ago, wombat43 said:

Still no joy - says photo bucket not working on every photo in the article - even opening in new tab doesn't work - does anyone have these saved that I could get copies - leaving for IPMS Nats in the morning so may be out of pocket this week but any help would certainly be appreciated - doing an A-3 refueling an F-8 in 1/48 based on planes from my 68 cruise on Ticonderoga CVA-14

That's going to be a great looking dio!

11 hours ago, habu2 said:

MoFo, did you try this?  It didn't work for me.

I viewed the html source code for this thread and it appears the OP's posts pre-dated the ban on uploading images.  The pathname in the "img src=" tag looks like a link to a local directory on ARC.  leading and trailing caret bracket omitted in the following:

Although this doesn't explain the appearance of the PB ransom logo......

The image source is definitely Photobucket not a local url. Here is the source for one of the images (Spaces added between "http" and the colon to prevent the forum software from trying to grap the linked image):

http  ://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/jheller/DSC_0908.jpg

Weird.  Worked for me yesterday.  Didn't work for me just now... except for *one* pic, which opened.  Tried it *again* and got two other images to display... but not the one that had just worked.

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/jheller/media/cGF0aDovRFNDXzA5OTYuanBn/?ref=

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/jheller/media/cGF0aDovRFNDXzA5NjQuanBn/?ref=