I've seen a mount mentioned for the UH-1 series referred to as the Kellet Pylon, but only in text. I had thought that it might refer to the four-rack mount used by the UTTHCO in Vietnam for a short period, but this appears to be incorrect. My current theory is that its actually the pylon used in the auxiliary fuel system and the M56 mine dispenser system.

Does anyone have any idea of what it might refer to? Does anyone have any information on the four-rack mount?

Napalmandbomb.jpg

This is the four-rack mount in question.

specs62.jpg

This is the mounting hardware for the M56 subsystem.

DA-SC-85-08050.jpg

With dispenser.

I've definitely seen pictures of the second mount, I'm pretty sure without the support tube fittings, with rocket pods during the appropriate time period. I just can't seem to find anything concrete. The following picture from Ray's online gallery shows UH-1Bs fitted with XM14 gun pods, using what appears to be the same mount.

PICT4393.jpg

Any help on what exactly the Kellet Pylon is and any additional information on the four-rack mount would be appreciated.

I've seen a mount mentioned for the UH-1 series referred to as the Kellet Pylon, but only in text. I had thought that it might refer to the four-rack mount used by the UTTHCO in Vietnam for a short period, but this appears to be incorrect. My current theory is that its actually the pylon used in the auxiliary fuel system and the M56 mine dispenser system.

Does anyone have any idea of what it might refer to? Does anyone have any information on the four-rack mount?

Napalmandbomb.jpg

This is the four-rack mount in question.

Any help on what exactly the Kellet Pylon is and any additional information on the four-rack mount would be appreciated.

Joe,

If you haven't found info on the "Kellet Pylon" I don't know who will! The above pic you posted is an official Bell photo and was published in Bob Chenoweth's excellent "Army Gunships in Vietnam." The below info is from the caption:

CWO Womack (of "Womack kit" fame) briefs Bell's Ducayet and two tech reps on the operation of a bomb rack system fitted to the XM-156 (should be M-156) mounts on a UH-1B of "Sabre" platoon (UTTHCO bird). The inboard shackle is believed to hold a 100lb bomb while the outboard is a napalm canister. .....This photograph was taken late in 1963 at Tan Son Nhut and is believed to document the only use of napalm and conventional bombs from helicopters, other than the 10,000 lb Daisy cutters carried by CH-54's to clear LZs.

I can say that I have seen at least one other case of napalm used on a Huey and there is, of course, the "AH-1B" a Cobra armed with a conventional bomb as well.

Anyway, here is a front view of the XM-14 mount and a side view of another UTTHCO bird armed with twin 19 shot rocket pods on the same mount (I assume these are M-159 pods). I call this setup a "double hog" but I have no idea if there is an official name for it.

Ray

11000.jpg

double%20hog.jpg

It would figure that the four rack setup was an invention of Womack. He seems to have taken it upon himself to single-handedly come up with a number of kits, both while in Vietnam and elsewhere. I'm pretty sure this is not based on the XM156/M156. One of the distinctive features of the XM156/M156 is the housing that holds the MA-4 bomb rack. Womack developed a kit while with the UTTHCO that was more or less the XM16/M16 kit, but with an exposed bomb rack as well. He probably took that and just doubled it, removing the rest of the XM6E3/M6 components. Those tech representatives are probably from Emerson who was working on the XM156/M156 and XM16/M16 at that time.

The Griminger piece alludes to Womack testing kits with naplam tanks, which is probably this configuration. I would suggest that the weapons in the picture are a BLU-1/B napalm tank with the nose and tail fairings removed and an E39R1 smoke tank. The BLU-1/B would have come from the VNAF or USAF elements. This is probably where Womack and the UTTHCO sourced the LAU-3A/A and LAU-32A/A rocket pods they used too. The E39R1 was, according to the Griminger piece, developed by Womack himself.

e39r1.jpg

E39R1 on the Womack designed mount to add stores to the XM6E3/M6 armament subsystem.

EDIT- Here's a new wrinkle, Warbirdrelics.com is selling what would otherwise match the description of a Kelly pylon (Go here and find "Kellet"). I will Email them asking if they have any pictures.

Edited by thatguy96
It would figure that the four rack setup was an invention of Womack. He seems to have taken it upon himself to single-handedly come up with a number of kits, both while in Vietnam and elsewhere. I'm pretty sure this is not based on the XM156/M156. One of the distinctive features of the XM156/M156 is the housing that holds the MA-4 bomb rack. Womack developed a kit while with the UTTHCO that was more or less the XM16/M16 kit, but with an exposed bomb rack as well. He probably took that and just doubled it, removing the rest of the XM6E3/M6 components. Those tech representatives are probably from Emerson who was working on the XM156/M156 and XM16/M16 at that time.

The Griminger piece alludes to Womack testing kits with naplam tanks, which is probably this configuration. I would suggest that the weapons in the picture are a BLU-1/B napalm tank with the nose and tail fairings removed and an E39R1 smoke tank. The BLU-1/B would have come from the VNAF or USAF elements. This is probably where Womack and the UTTHCO sourced the LAU-3A/A and LAU-32A/A rocket pods they used too. The E39R1 was, according to the Griminger piece, developed by Womack himself.

Joe,

I think if you compare the "bomb" in the original photo with the E39R1 smoke tank, the bomb is smaller and attaches to the rack closer to the nose than the smoke tank. It also sits level and not at a severe angle like the smoke tank. I think that it is a 100lb bomb, possibly WWII vintage.

Here's a photo I found using Google from someone's Photobucket account. The blue practice bombs are identified as MK 18's. The nose looks a lot like the "bomb" in the photo to me and the attachment points are near the nose as in the photo above.

Ray

Mk18100lbsbombsandM38100lbsbombs.jpg

Joe,

I found this on Wikipedia:

"The original XM3s used system specific mounts ("Kellet pylons"), but later M3 systems were attached using the XM156/M156 universal mount.[2][3] The only difference between the XM3 and XM3E1 was that the launch tubes on the E1 were 4" longer. " I know Wikipedia isn't a definitive source, but it has become a very useful research tool. The Wikipedia piece also identifies the twin 19 shot pods I posted as the XM-17 system " XM17-The XM17 utilized the older "Kellet pylons" to mount two XM159 2.75" rocket launchers on each side of the aircraft.[3] The weight of this arrangement led to it not being standardized." I'd say based on these statements the original four rack mount you posted first is the "Kellett Mount." Here's the Wikipedia page: Helicopter Armament

Ray

Your insight into the "bomb" is very much what I was thinking after I posted, especially the angle. Having wrote wiki's entry, however, I'm willing to discount that as me not knowing better hehe. Hopefully I'll get a positive response on the Kellet Pylon those guys are selling and maybe have some pics up as a result.

Edited by thatguy96
Your insight into the "bomb" is very much what I was thinking after I posted, especially the angle. Having wrote wiki's entry, however, I'm willing to discount that as me not knowing better hehe. Hopefully I'll get a positive response on the Kellet Pylon those guys are selling and maybe have some pics up as a result.

Shoulda known that was you. Nobody else I have ever met can spout off obscure weapon systems like you can! They should cite the authors of the pages. So why isn't the Kellet Pylon mentioned in the TACOM link in the refs? By the way, I did find a reference to a Kellet Pylon for mounting a fuel pod on an OV-10. Probably isn't any link between the two though.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash
Shoulda known that was you. Nobody else I have ever met can spout off obscure weapon systems like you can! They should cite the authors of the pages. So why isn't the Kellet Pylon mentioned in the TACOM link in the refs? By the way, I did find a reference to a Kellet Pylon for mounting a fuel pod on an OV-10. Probably isn't any link between the two though.

Ray

The TACOM website doesn't list the only designated subsystem that is stated to have used the Kellet Pylon, the XM17 (The XM9 and XM10 aren't mention either; the XM11 is mentioned though, and other sources dispute whether that was official or not). The Kellet Pylon appears to have not last very long in the armament options. Its mentioned in the test of a grenade dispenser adapter for the LAU-3/A and LAU-32/A rocket pods, and only that it was deemed to be unsuitable for test mounting the modified pods to the helicopter. Emerson's XM156/M156 appears to have quickly stolen the show.

If my theory holds true that this is the pylon used first for the auxiliary fuel system and then later for the other applications, it could be related to the plumbed pylon for the OV-10. It could turn out the one being sold is indeed for the OV-1 as well, and that Kellet made their last dollars selling plumbed pylons for various aircraft.