3Mâ„¢ Acryl-Blue Glazing Putty DISCONTINUED

It's still available under a different name: 3M Acryl Marine Putty

I read elsewhere that the product had been discontinued, so I went to the source. I received the following e-mail today in reply:

Mr. Briggs,

Thank you for contacting 3M Marine.

The 3Mâ„¢ Acryl-Blue Glazing Putty, 05964 is no longer available. The suggested replacement is the 3Mâ„¢ Acryl-Marine Putty, 05095 White. The 3Mâ„¢

Acryl-Marine Putty is the same formula as the 3Mâ„¢ Acryl-Blue Glazing Putty except that it does not have the blue colorant.

Regards,

Scott S.

3M Marine

Regards,

Bruce

That's good to know, Bruce. Thanks for posting it. Of course, one tube of the stuff will last a lifetime, if stored properly, so I'll never need to buy more. But those looking for it certainly need this information.

I wonder what corporate ad-wonk made the decision. At least, they're still making an equivalent. Shame about the color, though. I think that blue is very pretty! :jaw-dropping:

I have a quick question about this putty. Is it a two part with a hardener or is it used straight from the packaging with no mixing? I'm trying to find some in my area and want to know what I'm looking for.

Edited by Spectre711
I have a quick question about this putty. Is it a two part with a hardener or is it used straight from the packaging with no mixing? I'm trying to find some in my area and want to know what I'm looking for.

Straight from the tube, no mixing required.

It's a lacquer based putty that you squeeze from a single large tube. You can thin it with lacquer thinner or MEK. Always have adequate ventilation, avoid contact with skin, and take the usual precautions with hot solvent-based materials as indicated on the product labeling. It will attack styrene a little bit, but not to the point of disaster.

It's very smooth and dries in about 1/2 hour. It wet-sands exceedingly fine—to the point of being able to polish it with very fine mesh—and doesn't shrink a whole lot.

If you can still find Acryl-Blue in stock (some auto supply or auto paint stores), it looks like this:

http://www.merrittsupply.com/3M-Acryl-Blue...5964-P3923.aspx

Acryl Marine Putty is in an all white tube with a red stripe:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userp...e+Putty+-+White

Please note: this is not an endorsement of either retailer linked above. I picked them from Google image searches.

And I agree with Triarius, the blue is nice.

Regards,

Bruce

You can thin it with lacquer thinner or MEK. Always have adequate ventilation, avoid contact with skin, and take the usual precautions with hot solvent-based materials as indicated on the product labeling.

Regards,

Bruce

It can also be thinned with 90% isopropyl alcohol, toluene, or xylene. These three are much slower evaporating solvents than MEK (and are common components of lacquer thinner). Isopropyl will not attack styrene, but the other two, and MEK, are very aggressive. The advantage to using toluene or xylene is that they slow the drying considerably, improving working time. However, thinning it does increase drying shrinkage. It is possible to thin it to the consistency of Mr. Surfacer 1000, but it takes a lot of work.

I have to try this White or the Blue if I can find it. Have some red Nitro (nitrocellulose) glazing and spot putty but have to sand outsize since the fine red dust gets everywhere. I guess it is lacquer based also because it will attack the plastic if I spread it too thick.