1/48 Kinetic Mirage 2000

Howdy folks,

I just got back from the 2010 Phoenix Nats. Here are some pics I took of the test shots for the new Kinetic Mirage 2000 in 1/48. To me, it looks like they knocked off the Heller/Airfix kit and added some parts for the later models. In fact, the parts breakdown look very similar to the Heller kit. See for yourself.

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

Edited by Cyrus Tan
I thought that was the Trumpeter offering.
I can't confirm this, but I was told that Steven's was distributing the Kinetic line? Maybe some one know more? Sorry... I didn't ask because there was no rep at the table when I took the shots.

That's the Kinetic one - I have the same test shots. Only certain ways to break things down in a jet but is it influenced by the Heller Kits More than likely. I was told there was going to be a bit of a redesign to aid in the building of the kit and a few issues here and there. I can say the panel lines are extremely fine, trailing edges sharp. More on it when I get the chance to look at it in detail after I return from WI. Safe to say though this is a major step forward for them in tooling quality. Major step forward

Edited by Fuji

hi!

thanks for those pics! :worship:

You are right... this really looks like to the Heller kit.

The control panels seem enhanced.

Apparently, at least two versions are available:

- French 2000D with its particular bulged spine, nose cone without pitot.

- 2000B or 2000-5

at this time, no infos about weapons?

bye

Hey Fuji!

That's the Kinetic one - I have the same test shots. Only certain ways to break things down in a jet but is it influenced by the Heller Kits More than likely. I was told there was going to be a bit of a redesign to aid in the building of the kit and a few issues here and there. I can say the panel lines are extremely fine, trailing edges sharp and generally very accurate. More on it when I get the chance to look at it in detail after I return from WI. Safe to say though this is a major test forward for them in tooling quality. Major step forward
I agree with you. The surface detail is better than the Heller kit and yes I noticed some redesigns here and there. The plastic had a pebbly finish probably because it's a test shot. Hopefully the production version will be better. I didn't notice any cockpit details so maybe Aires can come to the rescue? Someone also mentioned that the main wheels wells were too shallow. Quite honestly, I wasn't very impressed, but at least we have another option.
The control panels seem enhanced.
I didn't notice any cockpit details. They were flat IIRC. Maybe they plan to offer PE?
at this time, no infos about weapons?
There was no weapons sprue only what you see in the pic. Edited by Cyrus Tan
Hey Fuji!

I agree with you. The surface detail is better than the Heller kit and yes I noticed some redesigns here and there. The plastic had a pebbly finish probably because it's a test shot. Hopefully the production version will be better. I didn't notice any cockpit details so maybe Aires can come to the rescue? Someone also mentioned that the main wheels wells were too shallow. Quite honestly, I wasn't very impressed, but at least we have another option.

I didn't notice any cockpit details. They were flat IIRC. Maybe they plan to offer PE?

Actually the instrument detail is very good for the one I have. You're images show the backs of the panels. The gear wells are shallow? They look pretty deep to me but I don't go around measuring wheel well depths and no one is going to be turning mine upside down anyway. Personally I always think that's a weak topic, if you want shallow wheel wells, look at ANY scale F-5. You'll never get any part of the kit gear in there. No one ever complains cause there are only so many things you can do and still have structural integrity. Just my $.02.

The pictures are not close enough to say precisely. I thought i saw some details on the front panels...

But if you say it was flat i believe you! :worship:

This is sad however, not to have nice panels details on a 2010 kit... maybe they will add details on final molds... I hope.

Thanks again for the pictures! :worship:

bye

Actually the instrument detail is very good for the one I have. You're images show the backs of the panels. The gear wells are shallow? They look pretty deep to me but I don't go around measuring wheel well depths and no one is going to be turning mine upside down anyway. Personally I always think that's a weak topic, if you want shallow wheel wells, look at ANY scale F-5. You'll never get any part of the kit gear in there. No one ever complains cause there are only so many things you can do and still have structural integrity. Just my $.02.

Cough, cough. Who goes around measuring F-5E wheel wells? I forgot my notepad so I took a photo of the measuring tape instead, LOL! :worship:

F-5E-wheel-well.jpg

Edited by PlasticWeapons
Cough, cough. Who goes around measuring F-5E wheel wells? :worship:

F-5E-wheel-well.jpg

I should have known. You sir, are a sick, sick man - may have to drop you from my friends on FB. Really? That's insane!

The pictures are not close enough to say precisely. I thought i saw some details on the front panels...

But if you say it was flat i believe you!

This is sad however, not to have nice panels details on a 2010 kit... maybe they will add details on final molds... I hope.

Hi Rom. Don't take my word as "gospel"! I did not closely examine the parts so I could be wrong. Fuji seems to have a test shot so I would trust his judgement over my own.
I should have known. You sir, are a sick, sick man
BIG TIME! :lol:

Any chance we can get beyond 'it's just a copy of...' when discussing new tools of existing subjects?

There are only so many ways to skin a cat...or mold an aircraft so it can be assembled easily. If Kinetic had gone all Trumpeter on this one with open panels and an engine there would be no question that it is a 100% new tooling - but then there would have been complaints about molding it that way also.

Trying not to be defensive but I remember the fights I had over the HB Mirage IIIC with MoFo, over it being a copy of the Eduard kit. I just don't want to see it dominate the discussion about Kinetics M2000s for the next 3 months or until it is released.

Until we actually get it in our hands lets leave speculation aside. Besides how many of us actually have BUILT a Heller M2000? I did the Monogram one a couple of decades ago but not the Heller one.

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts
My question is this:

Was Trumpy ALSO showing M2000 test shots or were the Kinetic test shots misidentified from the beginning? Inquiring minds would like to know?

it's been the Kinetic kit from the start. Mis-IDed do to it being at the Stevens table with all the other Trumpy test shots.

Edited by Fuji

I'm glad they are getting better on the molding, but man! It's time to work on getting the size of the sprue gates down to within reason. I can just see me trying to get the parts off the sprues and one of two things happening...the knife/cutters slips and cuts the model, or the knife/cutters slips and cuts my finger off.

Aaron

I'm glad they are getting better on the molding, but man! It's time to work on getting the size of the sprue gates down to within reason. I can just see me trying to get the parts off the sprues and one of two things happening...the knife/cutters slips and cuts the model, or the knife/cutters slips and cuts my finger off.

Aaron

They're not that bad, wide but thin. On some of the smaller parts they're very thin.

I couldn't care less if they copied the Heller kit, given that they improved that kit's shortcommings.

Just to see the alternative flare/no-flare spines promisses good! If they add a good weapon/pylon sprue(s), this should be a winner. Actually holding off building my Heller kit pending more information on release and final content details

Definatelly promissing ;)

EDIT: This is the type of pylons I would like to see, besides targeting pods offcourse ;)

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/16117/M/F...rage-2000D/648/

Edited by Boman
Thanks Rom - but aren't these rails for missiles, and not bombs? I believe the "shoulder" pylons are different for bombs compared to missiles?

You are right... these are different pylons! my bad! :jaw-dropping:

Those bomb pylons look like to the targeting pod one.

Maybe you should have a look to this nice website:

http://florent1973.free.fr/FrenchAirWings/...round_index.htm

bye