New AV-8A/C decals

Don't you agree that it's time the AV-8A/C got some attention? There are lots of decal options for current/later Harriers, but not much for the early ones in US service. I am working on a 1/48 US AV-8A/C sheet(A 1/72 version may be coming later). It's going to be a pretty comprehensive sheet, with options for NASA and both low/high-vis markings for every unit that flew the type (VMA-513 including different detachment markings,VMA-542,VMA_231,VMAT-203). Here are some early drafts. Let me know if you have any ideas and/or suggestions.

av8a_draft.jpg

Edited by KursadA

I you do a 1/72 sheet(please,please,please!) I would like to suggest the NASA TAV-8A to fit the new Sword kit. I'm sure you saw this coming from coming from me already but I would seriously like to put in my vote for a small scale sheet AFAIK there have never been any AV-8C markings in 1/72 and I desperately need some to finish up my harrier collection. I am working towards having one of every mark of harrier operated by the RAF,RN and USMC to begin with and then hopefully to include all other operators as well. And as far as the 1/48 sheet is concerned will you be fitting it to the monogram kit or the Tamiya? AFAIK the monogram kit is by leaps and bounds the better of the two.

Cheers

Oh yes!!!! I have about 6 Monogram AV-8A kits needing decals.

I don't have references but some decals for AV-8B Night Attack Harriers in the gray/green camouflage prior to the three-tone gray would be nice too someday...

Edited by PlasticWeapons

Kursad,

I fully support your plan for 1/48 decals for the AV-8A/C.

I've got a Monogram AV-8A, a Tamiya Harrier Gr.1/AV-8A and a North Wing Modelcraft Harrier T.2/4/TAV-8A conversion.

Definitely need decals for all these at some point.

I was planning to size this for the Monogram kit, but it looks like quite a few people have the Tamiya kit in the stash as well. There is also going to be some new resin AV-8A/C stuff in the coming months(can't say much, sorry), which is part of the motivation for this project. I will try and see if I can find or borrow a Tamiya kit to test the fit before I send these to be printed.

What is the best 1/48 TAV-8A conversion that is available right now? I might also consider adding some TAV-8 serials (and VMAT-203 tail markings) to the sheet.

Hi Kursad,

I emailed you a link you might useful.

Heritage Aviation sells a 2-seater conversion for the Airfix kit, and C&H sells one for the Monogram. I found a mention of the C&H conversion on another forum, and it wasn't kind....

Ben

I you do a 1/72 sheet(please,please,please!) I would like to suggest the NASA TAV-8A to fit the new Sword kit. I'm sure you saw this coming from coming from me already but I would seriously like to put in my vote for a small scale sheet AFAIK there have never been any AV-8C markings in 1/72 and I desperately need some to finish up my harrier collection. I am working towards having one of every mark of harrier operated by the RAF,RN and USMC to begin with and then hopefully to include all other operators as well. And as far as the 1/48 sheet is concerned will you be fitting it to the monogram kit or the Tamiya? AFAIK the monogram kit is by leaps and bounds the better of the two.

Cheers

I'd back a 1/72 version!

The NASA TAV-8A didn't really exist, the Museum bird is painted that way, but it never flew in those colours.

The other option not mentioned so far are the desert camo birds (Distemper for exercises).

Thai Navy are not well covered, although Series Espanolas have done some nice Spanish ones in both scales.

We don't have a huge amount on AV-8As, but any help I can give, drop me a PM/email!

Dave

The other option not mentioned so far are the desert camo birds (Distemper for exercises).

Thai Navy are not well covered, although Series Espanolas have done some nice Spanish ones in both scales.

Thanks, Dave - do you happen to have anything on the temporary desert camouflaged aircraft you mentioned? I have only a few photos of the white distemper camouflage with barely enough details to draw the markings I included above as one of the draft subjects. I would be very interested in seeing desert camouflaged AV-8A/Cs.

I'd like to keep this a US-only sheet; even though Thai AV-8As are tempting. I think the Spanish aircraft are well covered by several different makers.

AV-8A/C decals? :woot.gif: These would be really great to have in 1/72! :thumbsup:

How 'bout this one?

3_11.jpg

Hawker Siddeley AV-8A - 25/WH (BuNo.158967) - VMA-542 "Tigers", USMC

Художник: © Don Greer

Источник: "Harrier in Action", by Don Linn, In Action No.58 (No.1058), © 1982 A Squadron/Signal Publications Inc., 1115 Crowley Drive Carrollton, Texas 75011-5010. ISBN 0-89747-139-3.

SOURCE

Edited by ChernayaAkula

How 'bout this one?

Already done! I've finished most of the markings including this one with the Skyhawk kill markings, I've just been to lazy to make a profile of it. I am working on the stencils right now..

Edited by KursadA

I have only a few photos of the white distemper camouflage with barely enough details to draw the markings I included above as one of the draft subjects.

Did you find the hi-res shots at the Defence Image Centre? Download links for hi-res images below if you haven't already:

Stbd

http://www.defenseimagery.mil/imageDownload.action?guid=4d93a386962b6e074609d5e6d504ffa1315d27d9

Port

http://www.defenseimagery.mil/imageDownload.action?guid=38e57f7fe320bb546fe37af133ed414c934ae46a

Kursad, if you do a 1/72 sheet, keep in mind that Wolfpak did that 3rd profile on sheet 72-035, but I see it's sold out on his site though.

One option I'd recommend would be the bi-centennial VMAT-203....

http://www.aeroslide...tures/AU-50.jpg

Also I don't think there's been much done for any of the low-vis aircraft like...

http://www.airport-d...oto/162198.html

Wolfpak did one similar to that also, but it was only on an appreciation sheet that is long gone also.

And another :thumbsup: for the VMA-542 with the Skyhawk kills.

Kursad

This is a great announcement. I have several Monogram kits in my stash so having an option for new markings is more than welcome. Personally I think the Monogram kit is better than the Tamiya kit but that is just my opinion. I have both so it really does not matter.

I have some Spanish markings for the Spanish naval aircraft but the sheet is a rare one. Just happy you are doing markings at all.

Edited by skyhawk174
  • 1 month later...

I have not forgotten this project, and it is still on track to be released in December as CD48027. It is still not complete, but here are some rough drafts of all the options. The bad news is that I had to remove the NASA option, but I promise it will come back on a later NASA-specific multi-subject sheet. The good news is I was able to squeeze everything else on the sheet. I think it covers the AV-8A/C pretty comprehensively; and hopefully we will see some of those early Harrier kits finally being built.

Again, this sheet is still far from being complete; and there probably are a host of issues in these drafts (missing stencils, incorrectly sized elements etc.) but it should give you a good idea of what will be covered.

cd48027promo1.jpg

cd48027promo2.jpg

Edited by KursadA