EE Lightning - Airfix - 1/48

Here are the final pictures of my Lightning. It took me a little bit more than an year to put it together, but I've managed with another projects together so normally it would take 6 months.

Aftermarkets were neomega seat and Eduard PE set that IMHO has everything that you need to build this fantastic kit. The fuselage was painting with Alclad Aluminium Airframe, some panels with Alclad Dark Aluminium and Aluminiun, the nose intake ring Alclad Chrome, exhausts frame Bare Metal Foil and exhaust Humbrol Metal Cote.

For the build thread click HERE

Lightning197_zps9ab628c8.jpg

Lightning196_zpsa30ec979.jpg

Lightning198_zps1e9bf7c2.jpg

Lightning201_zpsb523a5a3.jpg

Lightning203_zpse3c23ee6.jpg

Lightning204_zpsa83923b6.jpg

Lightning205_zpsecfe64aa.jpg

Lightning207_zpsa93f2191.jpg

Lightning199_zps3a959d5f.jpg

Edited by Motta

Gorgeous! What did you put under the Alclad for a base?

Rick L.

Many thanks.

Alclad Gloss Black Base.

But the trick is... you have to polish it (i've used Tamiya compounds) until it is really smooth and shiny, like a mirror. It is a hell of work!

Edited by Motta

Thank you guys for all compliments.

Beautiful! How sensitive is the polished finish to marring when you handle it, add decals, glue on more parts etc?

Rkic,

Alclad Aluminium Airframe is really really fragile! You just can't touch it or clean it using a cotton bud and water.

Maybe I did something wrong. Just to give you an idea...

Because I was aware of it and to avoid this kind of problems I decided paint the panels before the entire fuselage once the panel would be in Alclad regular finish (not high shine or polished). So, after all panels have been masked and painted I had to remove the masks...

When removing the masks (wearing latex gloves) sometimes the masking tapes sticked on my gloves and if I touched the model after that I had a ugly glue mark on my model and if I tried to rubber it off with a cotton bud (dry or wet) the Alclad Aluminium Airframe fell off! So I decided to protect the model with something similar to Alclad Acqua Gloss (actually I used Johnson Klear new formula which is milky) even it loses some shine.

Sorry for my english but I hope it could help you.