1/48 Tornado Gr.1, Revell wip

Hello,

here are few pictures of the current progress.

I wanted to secure the cockpit to the right part of the fuselage, cause I'll do a lot of surgery and need to have the cockpit steady [:)/>/>] .

After thinking what would be best for the cockpit, I came to the conclusion that I should do most of things myself. I will use few bits from flightpath set. Eduard is very disappointing IMO. those flat painted things are just not my option. For 20+ Euros they could at least do the accurate rear MFD boxes. Luckily fp set is here. We'll see along how much will I be able to use.

Maybe someone will use Neomega cockpit, but, as I said already in some topic revell made it very difficult to fit in other cockpits like neomega, mostly becasue the wheel bay (the bottom part of the wheelbay is part of the cockpit) and the fact that cockpit is essential for holding up together wheel bay, left and right fuselage and the bottom

Thanks for watching

[:cheers:/>/>]

1_zpsc86f8e4d.jpg

2_zpse1d98029.jpg

3_zpsce11e3cf.jpg

4_zpsf36df1eb.jpg

5_zps52e5a244.jpg

Edited by skuki

Hi, once I glue it to place where it should be, I cut it with tamiya side cutter. the end is also deformed, but it is sooo tiny you cant really see it :D.

but some sprues (0.4mm) were cut with scalpel on cutting surface, before they were glued. than i've drilled the hole all the way and put the sprue from the bottom :). i've pushed it until the desired hight and the cut at the bottom

Great scratchbuilding!

Just one remark, there is no bulkhead behind the pilot seat, its actually open. There is just a beam and some wires. In reality when you look behind the pilots seat you can see the navigators feet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

here are some new pic of the progress. I did work on cockpit since last update quite regulary, but as you can see based on the progress pic, it was very time consuming.

Still some work required on those MFD's, and especially on the middle part (a lot of work left there). I'll use those grill's (passive cooler?) on the MFD's from PE flightpath set, cuted to fit. Regarding the FP set, I'm not sure if I can say that I am satisfied with it. There is obviously something wrong with the size of the revell MFD's but also with the FP's ones. I understand that it is made for italeri kit, but some of the parts should fit any 1/48 scale Tornado, like those MFD and the middle console. Also, the FP ladder don't have holes on the standing platform (!?). However, I will use some FP parts, but they will be cuted out and fitted to the cockpit part. I've caculated that the FP set is more useful and econimc than eduard interior + eduard ladders, because of the large pe fret and resin parts, and you get ladders also. But from the instructions I couldn't see that there are no holes in ladders, and parts that should be "universal" are oversized, so my conclusion is questionable.

The middle console is undersized in the revell kit, just as MFD's, so I've made it bigger by "dressing" it in 0.4mm styrene all around.

Here are some fresh pic, bye for now :

1_zpsc00def22.jpg

3_zps1db795eb.jpg

4_zps1a388183.jpg

5_zps0de10ebf.jpg

6_zps5d284fa3.jpg

7_zps06c92431.jpg

• 8 months later...

WOW, this is gonna be an amazing build. Will it be a Desert Storm Bird?

Exactly :) It was a looong time on my to do list, but when revell Tornado cam out I thought now might be the time to start one :)

Thanks all.