Was in a bookstore yesterday, and leafed through one on the F-117 I'd found. Always a Have Blue fan, I looked through there to see if any new details had surfaced.

Found a reference to the camouflage on aircraft #1; said it was painted by Alan Brown and someone else (maybe they meant the pattern was designed by him, but that's not the point). What it did say was that the aircraft was painted in "three colors, with each color being in three different tones."

I've looked and I've looked, and it just does not make any sense to me. I see each of the four colors (to me) as consistent, always the light pale gray, the light sand/tan, the blue-gray and the black.

But, I've been known to err in this department (haven't we all!). Anyone else make any sense of this???

Yea, I think it's just unclear/bad writing - I would read it as "...three colors, and each of the three colors were different tones (gray, green, brown)."

Then again, it was secret project and painting with 9 different colors is a good way to make sure to consume all of your funding....