New airline seat design proposal:

I get that. I can put in a patent too...

But there comes a time when an airline will lose business by cramming in more people in uncomfortable conditions. Just looking at that diagram and all I see is a wonderful infectious disease incubator.

I get that. I can put in a patent too...

But there comes a time when an airline will lose business by cramming in more people in uncomfortable conditions. Just looking at that diagram and all I see is a wonderful infectious disease incubator.

I'd say you got that right. Co-incidentally, I was watching an old episode of a TV show called 'QI' recently; for anyone who hasn't seen it the idea is that various cool/bizarre/little-known facts are revealed, and then subjected to 'humourous' discussion by a few celeb panellists. It was alleged therein that since banning smoking on airliners, carriers reduced the number of times the cabin air is replaced in flight by a significant number. The object was to save $s on energy used on this process, but it means that germs in the air have a wonderful time, and get to meet lots more people!

Fortunately for me, I never have to fly anywhere nowadays...and every day, the desire to do so gets less and less. :(

Lets see an emergency evacuation of a jet with that seat layout.

Yeah, I'd like to see that to. See it, not experience it first hand!

I don't think you'd be able to see the end of the line of lawyers and lawsuits...

It will never happen, just makes for a good online article. Keep in mind that airliners need to meet pretty strict evacuation times. Add more people and you need more emergency exits and more flight attendants. Although, if I ran the planet, I'd tighten things up and have everyone with their knee in the person opposite's crotch.

I must be in the distinct minority - I travel a lot and still enjoy flying. Don't get me wrong, the airport security experience is horrible and the US airlines suck (except for Jet Blue and my beloved SWA) but put me in a window seat with a cold beer and I'm a happy camper. I book my own business flights and will often add an hour or two layover just to check out a new airport (I added a stop on my last flight and discovered that Detroit is actually a really nice airport - great food and plenty of widebody jets to stare at while you wait for your flight).

Crazy, huh?

Lets see an emergency evacuation of a jet with that seat layout.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why you'll more than likely never see this type of seating configuration. I saw a documentary years ago regarding the science of aircraft crashes; sort of like the series 'Mayday'. There was a very interesting scenario in that a retired airliner was set up with seats installed facing rearward only, instead of forward. They then 'crashed' the airliner using a drag sled. Sensors on the dummies showed that sitting in this type of arrangement allowed more passengers to escape serious leg and severe whiplash injuries due to the way the body reacted to the sudden impact. Engineers studying this seating design were impressed with the results but the aircraft producers, and I believe the FAA too, said no to the idea as there would be too much commotion with people running towards the back of the airplane instead of forwards after a crash. Personally speaking, facing forwards or backwards, I'm moving AWAY from the fire. Another reason for not going any further with this is proposal was because some passengers might feel nauseated facing backwards while moving forwards. Having done so on the high speed train between London and Paris, I can understand how folks might get an upset stomach.