Question about AV-8B Harrier II Plus loadouts

Hi,

Would anyone have any info on the loadouts of Marines AV-8B Harriers II Plus during OEF/OIF?

I went through some pics at navy.mil and found this one:

web_051111-N-1467K-004.jpg

LINK

I would like to have a load of something like that but I wanted to arm it with Sidewinders (or maybe AMRAAMS, if the loadout is authentic and is under the max weight). I guess my OTHER question is, are AA missiles allows with such a loadout of 2 tanks, a targeting pod and a bomb.

Also, if such a loadout is present with tanks, pod and a bomb, then the gun is not installed right? Due to weight issues? yes no?

If anyone can shed some light on Harrier loadouts in OEF/OIF, that would be great! Thank you!

Ming

Edited by raptor22

US Harriers are not cleared for AMRAAM, so pretty much rules that out. Sidewinders were rarely, if ever carried and a lot of aircraft had the AIM-9 launch rails removed too (but not all). Gun pods were carried sometimes and not others (with the same load).

The two main configurations (with or without guns) were the one in your posted image with LANTIRN and a single bomb (and the JDAM could be replaced with Paveway GBU); or the buddy aircraft (one was designator for a pair usually). The buddy aircraft had the two tanks on the inboard pylons with no LANTIRN and the a pair of JDAM or LGBs on the mid pylons.

The targeting pod is a LITENING Pod, not a Lantirn, and it's only allowed on Station 5 due to the wiring required for it. This is why the tanks are carried on the intermediate stations in the photo. Sidewinders are allowed on the outboard stations next to tanks, but as noted, rarely carried. Also as noted the station 3 load was usually GBU-12 or GBU-16. Gun pods could be used or not, but often they were removed to save a little weight.

The two main configurations (with or without guns) were the one in your posted image with LANTIRN and a single bomb (and the JDAM could be replaced with Paveway GBU); or the buddy aircraft (one was designator for a pair usually). The buddy aircraft had the two tanks on the inboard pylons with no LANTIRN and the a pair of JDAM or LGBs on the mid pylons.

1000-lb GBU-32 JDAMs didn't get cleared until 14 Mar 05 with 500-lb GBU-38s following on 30 Aug 05, so they don't work for OEF/OIF.

Another popular load during OEF/OIF was the AGM-65E Laser Maverick.

US Harriers are not cleared for AMRAAM, so pretty much rules that out. Sidewinders were rarely, if ever carried and a lot of aircraft had the AIM-9 launch rails removed too (but not all). Gun pods were carried sometimes and not others (with the same load).

They're not? I thought the Harrier II Plus was partly designed to carry the AMRAAM, evn though I've not seen one armed with it.

They're not? I thought the Harrier II Plus was partly designed to carry the AMRAAM, evn though I've not seen one armed with it.

The Plus model was designed with AMRAAM in mind (or rather, mimicing the weapons capabilities including radar of the F/A-18C/D Hornets), sure, but the software integration hasn't been carried out to actually facilitate it as the USMC only see their Harriers being used for ground pounding.

Any situation necessitating AMRAAM would probably be an operation where the USN is involved anyway, and those guys are deemed to have more than enough air to air capability so the chances of a USMC Harrier ever being tasked to go air to air in a situation where a BVR missile would be necessary (or at least, strongly desirable) are judged to be be pretty slim.

I think they'll get AMRAAM capability eventually, as the Italian Navy (whose AV-8B 'Plus' aircraft are identical to those operated by the USMC) want the weapon, so when the software integration and trials are completed then it may well end up being 'installled' onto the USMC jets. Whether they will actually use or even carry it though, as opposed to just being a capability on paper, is anyones guess :rolleyes:

I see... thanks for the info. I just really like to looks of the Harrier II Plus with the radar housing and AMRAAMs that I have seen in some profiles. I guess by the time they receive this capability the F-35 would already be in production.

I see... thanks for the info. I just really like to looks of the Harrier II Plus with the radar housing and AMRAAMs that I have seen in some profiles. I guess by the time they receive this capability the F-35 would already be in production.

Well, for one particular jet at one particular time you can put an AIM-120 on an AV-8B+. It was tested at Chinal Lake several years ago.

The US has an agreement with the Spain and Italy to share integration work on the AV-8B II Plus, since our aircraft are the same. The requirement for AMRAAM was driven by the needs of Spain and Italy for a fleet defense mission for their AV-8B's. So even though integration is complete and it is in service in Italy and Spain, I don't think the USMC will ever use it. But Joe is correct in that all the integration work was done in the US on AV-8B's at China Lake.